12-11-2006, 06:32 PM
Free Member

Send a message via AIM to Keano Send a message via MSN to Keano
Im thinking of buying a new PC over the next few months and I think I want to make a couple of sets or learn how to anyway. A friend said a Gig of RAM would do, any thoughts on this? Would I need more? If anyone has any advice on they type of spec to get let me know.(If you make sets, what is your spec?)

Thanks

Hello, I am always looking to trade. So drop me a line
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-12-2006, 12:06 AM
Free Member

I would get a DELL, with a Core Duo Processor, with 2 gigs or ram. This will come with SATA drives, but don't worry about upgrading them with Dell, buy them from Newegg or Tiger direct, they will be much cheaper, and have 16 MB cache to boot. You want to run XP Pro, do not load that Crappy XP Home software, it sucks. Load up Womble MPEG VCR, ULEAD DVD Workshop 2, TmpegPlus etc. If possible, have three hard drives (System drive, scratch drive, working drive). Get a good program like Executive Software Diskeeper, to keep your drive from getting fragmented (the built in one sucks). I myself am running 3 Ghz procssor, with 2 gigs of ram, and 3 250 Gig drives. This setup works great for me, and is very fast.
12-12-2006, 03:51 AM
Free Member

keano in UK.

so best try places like dabs, komplett, novatech, svp for his stuff.
but if things go wrong, don't expect much from helpline/support, especially dabs!

also, might want to make sure you get a 600W or higher power supply if you're going to have a powerful pc.

dual cpu + graphic card + sound card + 2G ram + 3 hard drives + 1 or 2 dvd burners spell POWER CONSUMPTION!

and get a power surge protector. last thing you need is to fry your new toy, right?!
12-12-2006, 03:54 AM
Free Member

WOW... Send me one for Christmas TC lol. I m running 2- 160 Gig HD , 1 ghz ( lmao) Intel processor , 64 mb NvidA Card ,
512 Mb ( pc 133 lol) . Programs: Tmpeg plus, TDA PRO, Ulead Workshop 2, Mpeg vcr, Canopus Procoder , Photoshop 9 , Acronis Disc Management, Xp Media Center , Alcohol 120, Ultra ISO,
Sound Forge 8 , IFO edit, DVD Shrink, DVD Fab, Clone DVD, snagit for screen caps, CLAUDIO ( easy to use to transfer Cassett to Mp3) Nice little program , Autofx Photoshop Plugins ( I looove these) , Adobe audition and Recordnow DX . That's all I use

Emachines are inexspensive good pc's. Dells, crappacks ( HP), and getaways ( gateway) all have same components inside just different label & crappier warranty

You could buy a barebone kit too..

If I could I would
12-12-2006, 04:00 AM
Free Member

I second a Dell....you can go here:
http://edealinfo.com/dell/

they have a ton of good deals on a base system. if it does not come with the RAM you want, I would suggest that you or your friend upgrade it yourselves. Crucial memory is some of the best you can buy and usually you can find a good deal on it new or a good price used...itr all come with a lifetime warranty.

Likewise you can upgrade the video card, HDD, DVD-RW or anything else yourself and save money.

Tcel93 mentioned the Intel Core Duo Processor I myself prefer AMD...but it is just me.

(I like to overclock )

My suggestion would be to look at:

For Intel:
Dell Dimension 9200 Desktop, Pentium® D 2.80GHz, 1GB DDR2, 160GB, 16x DVD-ROM, XP Home, 19" LCD » only $689.00 + Free Shipping.
You can get an NEC DVD-RW from newegg for 30.00
Link: http://edealinfo.com/dell/#DB9200

AMD: Dell Dimension E521 Desktop, AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core 3800+, 1GB DDR2, 160GB, 16x DL DVD±RW/±R/CD-RW, XP Media Center, 20" LCD, Dell 725 Color Printer » only $699.00 + Free Shipping

Link:http://edealinfo.com/dell/#DHE521g

You can always sell or donate the printer for a tax write off if you do not need it.

If you are not someone who builds, or likes to build then these systems are good bases to get started. You can always upgrade them down the road

edit: I would also suggest that you make sure no matter what route you go, get a good power supply...do not rely on the powersupplies that come with any prebuilt system....powersupplies cause more problems than any other component (other than modems) and the biggest problem is that a bad PSU can cause all kinds of different faults from memory errors to HDD problems so you never really know for sure what is wrong until you go through the process of swapping them out changinb parts etc.

Just because a PSU checks out ok does not mean it is good...they are not like other components that are either good or bad...they can fade out over time causing many headaches along the way.

A good PSU can be bad also, but as the old saying goes, you get what you pay for and when it comes to PSU's this is especially true.

I suggest no matter what you do go with an Antec PSU (480-500 watts) the more the better....again just my .02
12-12-2006, 04:21 AM
Free Member

I just bought a HP Pavilion Slimline s7600n. They have the AMD 64 bit processor. The size is astounding, you can actually put it behind the 17" LCD mointor and not see it from the front. After rebate I'll pay $625.00 for it including a 17" mointor. I really like it.
Here are the specifics:
Product Details
Warranty Terms - Parts 1 year limited Warranty Terms - Labor 1 year limited
Product Height 9.75"
Product Width 4.4"
Product Weight 14.2 lbs.
Product Depth 13.1"
Processor Brand AMD Athlon(TM) 64
Processor Speed 2.0GHz
System Bus 2000MHz
Cache Memory 512KB on die Level 2
System Memory (RAM) 512MB
System Memory (RAM) Expandable To 2G
Type of Memory (RAM) PC2-4200 DDR2 SDRAM
Hard Drive Type SATA (7200 rpm)
Hard Drive Size 200GB
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE graphics with TurboCache technology
Video Memory Up to 256MB TurboCache (shared video memory uses part of the total system memory for video performance)
TV Tuner -No avaiable as add on
MPEG Yes
Audio High-definition audio (8-speaker support)

Modem 56 Kbps*
*Capable of receiving 56 Kbps downloads. However, current regulations limit download speed to 53 Kbps.
Network Card Built-in 10/100Base-T Ethernet networking interface with RJ-45 connector
Wireless Networking Built-in high-speed wireless LAN (802.11b/g)
Recordable DVD Drive Yes, double-layer DVD±RW/CD-RW
LightScribe Compatibility Yes
Digital Media Reader or Slots Yes, digital media card reader
Total Expansion Bays External: 1 (5.25"), Internal: 1 (3.5")
Total Expansion Slots 1 PCI, 2 DIMM
Available Expansion Slots 1 DIMM
USB 2.0 Ports 5 (1 front, 4 rear)
IEEE 1394 Ports 1
Operating System Windows XP Media Center 2005

12-12-2006, 07:14 AM
Free Member

If you can find someone who does it or will do it,go the custom pc route.It'll be way cheaper than a Dell/HP/Compaq/etc, and it'll blow them out the water.I build all of mine and a ton for local people, all of which are cheaper and blow by the big company pc's.There are a ton of sites online that offer custom pc's.If you don't do any gaming really, then the standard company pc's will do fine for the prices they ask. But I'd really spring for the extra gig of ram bud, you will not regret having 2GB of ram vs 1GB. Really depends on your knowledge of computer's. You are essentially paying more money simply for the logo on the side of the pc, or "name" of the brand, and for tech service, which usually consists of someone in the middle of Pakistan reading off of a script in badly broken english.
12-12-2006, 08:28 AM
Free Member

Send a message via AIM to Keano Send a message via MSN to Keano
Yeh, thanks for all your help. Im going for the 2GB of ram then for sure. Im not getting it right now but nearer the time I will be asking for a little more advice on it. I should be able to get it custom made as I have a friend who is ok with computers but you guys know what is best for our circumstances. Also software etc and easy guides to doing things. Thanks again.

Hello, I am always looking to trade. So drop me a line