Go Back   Forum > Featured > Coupons & Deals > Blank Media

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-27-2010, 10:12 AM
Free Member

Today's eBay daily deal.

If these are made in Japan, these are first quality blanks.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-27-2010, 12:30 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

It would only be Japanese Maxell-manufactured media if it were 4x or 8x discs. Outside of that unlikely scenario, you'd just be buying CMC or Ritek media at a price comparable to Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim -- especially when those discs are on sale, and after you've re-calculated the "true price" of the Maxell after subtracting the bad burns you're likely to get on the spindle.

The best prices on the best discs are posted at http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm
The prices can vary day to day, but only by a dollar or two.

eBay is also a site I do not suggest buying from, when it comes to blank media. Too many fakes and junk.

- Save money when you shop at The Digital FAQ.
- Every day, we post some of the best online deals and coupons. We have exclusive offers that you won't find anywhere else!

- Did this site help you? Then become a Premium Member and support what we do!
02-28-2010, 11:09 PM
Free Member

I haven't seen any Maxells in the retail stores that are made in Japan.

I have about 20 left of MXLRG03 or MXLRG02.
I bought a 50-pack spindle of Sony DVD+R at Staples, SONYD21, that seems to be okay. Haven't had a coaster yet.

Maybe the http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm page should mention that only the 4x and 8x Maxells are good. Right now, you'd think all Maxells are good.

The seller for the eBay Daily Deal was Buy.com
02-28-2010, 11:18 PM

They've been gone for about 5 years now.

All Maxell-manufactured discs ARE good. The guide is correct.

The problem is that Maxell-branded media is not Maxell-manufactured media anymore. That's where the distinction lies (and is why that guide even exists, to spell out that brand is non-important).

Maxell-branded discs might be CMC, RITEK or something else.

Buy.com is probably a good eBayer, being a large store that seems to use eBay as an added storefront. Not like those fly-by-night operations (Joe's Blank Discs).

Maybe some disambiguation disclaimers can be added to the guide, reminding people that Maxell and TDK discs are just brands now, manufacturing ceased long ago.

- Every day, we post some of the best online deals and coupons. We have exclusive offers that you won't find anywhere else!

03-01-2010, 07:53 AM
Free Member

I see what you are saying.

If Maxell-manufactured and TDK-manufactured discs are no longer on the marketplace anywhere, then to leave them on that page is confusing without the explanation you just wrote. Perhaps it should say something similar to PVC stopped making media in 2003 for both.

People will assume the brand is still good not realizing that you are talking about the manufacturer. In a way, it's like talking about the dodo bird; it used to exist but now it's extinct. The Maxell-manufactured and TDK-manufactured discs are gone forever, except for the ones that may still be lingering about in someone's cabinet.
03-01-2010, 02:23 PM

Yep, like selling Dodo-brand chickens.

The information for some discs is archival in nature -- it no longer applies for current buys, but it would be useful when trying to ID old discs.
Or to go back to your analogy, in case you find a fossilized or stuffed dodo.

In fact, I like this dodo analogy so much, that's how it will be explained.