Go Back   Forum > Featured > Coupons & Deals > Blank Media

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-12-2011, 09:49 PM
Free Member

Model 95102 DVD-R - http://www.chiefvalue.com/product/pr...%20DVD%20Media
Model 95098 DVD+R - http://www.chiefvalue.com/product/pr...%20DVD%20Media

ChiefValue is owned by NewEgg, shares inventory, etc. The orders come in NewEgg shipping boxes with NewEgg listed as the return address. Right now at NewEgg, these have extra shipping fees. At ChiefValue, they don't. Free 3 day shipping. I think it's the regular, everyday price. Best deal right now unless you have Amazon Prime.

Now, if only our humble admin could add them to the "where to buy media" list...
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-15-2011, 10:16 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

Thanks for the notice on Chief Value. It's something I'll add to the list. We're no longer updating the current site (and haven't really done so since May), because the new site is pending around the end of the month (end of summer, as planned). Better presentation, more guide, many guide updates, etc -- with more to come all year long and into the future.

Right now, I'd rather buy from Amazon. Newegg and Amazon are always in a battle for the lowest price (even when it's stupid, and to their own profit loss), and I prefer to deal with Amazon. It's cheaper, it's faster, and there's no tax (NE/CV charge sales tax in several states).

Amazon is $21.49 for DVD-R: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B003ZDNZT2
And $21.99 for DVD+R: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B003ZDNZSS
Free shipping on $25 order. (So buy two packs. Or one pack and something else you want, like a book.)
Prime not required.

- Save money when you shop at The Digital FAQ.
- Every day, we post some of the best online deals and coupons. We have exclusive offers that you won't find anywhere else!

- Did this site help you? Then become a Premium Member and support what we do!
08-15-2011, 10:44 AM
Free Member

I've had issues with Amazon Free Super Saver Shipping in the past. Not necessarily the speed of the actual shipping, but how long they hold the package before shipping. It's often longer than how long it takes for the package to by shipped from Amazon to my house. Unless that's changed, NewEgg/ChiefValue is better in a pinch for me: I get my discs in 1 day from the NJ warehouse or 3 days from the CA warehouse.

Plus, I'm in a state (NY) where NewEgg/ChiefValue doesn't charge tax and Amazon does. As far as charging sales tax goes, it's 3 states for NewEgg and 5 states for Amazon right now. So really it's a case of your mileage may vary: You prefer Amazon because they don't charge tax in your state, while I prefer NewEgg/ChiefValue in part because they don't charge tax in my state. In most states, neither charge tax, and then you're left with the small price difference vs shipping speed (if you don't have Amazon Prime).
08-15-2011, 11:26 AM

Yep, Amazon got their act together on shipping a few years ago. They still improve it each year, too, with the opening of more geographically diverse distribution centers. They're similar to Netflix in that regard. I wasn't a huge fan of Amazon either, pre-2005.

I still buy certain items from Newegg, even with shipping and tax added. It's simply hard to beat some of their prices. In some cases, they're the only reasonable option for having something in stock. I placed an order for computer parts this weekend, in fact!

I'm used to running to Geeks.com, Microcenter.com, Newegg.com, Frys.com, Buy.com and Tigerdirect.com most of the time. I need to put Chief Value on the shopping rounds list next time I look for something. One of the new guides on this site will be a primer on shopping for computers, computer parts, blank media, etc. Same for digital cameras. Who to use, who to avoid, how to find sales, etc.

- Every day, we post some of the best online deals and coupons. We have exclusive offers that you won't find anywhere else!

08-15-2011, 11:39 AM
Free Member

So I take it that Amazon has also dropped the artificial delay before shipment on Free Super Saver Shipping orders as well?
08-15-2011, 11:54 AM

The last dozen or so times I've order anything from Amazon, with Free Super Saver Shipping, it's gotten here in 2-3 days. Granted, it's only shipping from maybe 150 miles away (other side of the state line). I think the pressure from competition, mixed with an economy that makes all sales blessings, has somewhat eroded artificial shipping delays from many companies that used to do it.

Amazon used to have better packing materials and boxes, too. Newegg was lousy. Now they're about even -- both lousy. I bought an LCD from Newegg in December, and it was shipped bare boxed. There was no second box, and the monitor box looked like a dog chew toy. It must've taken the magic of Santa Claus for that LCD to work perfectly as it did, and Christmas wasn't ruined.