Go Back    Forum > Digital Life > Digital Devices

LinkBack Thread Tools
10-29-2011, 03:26 AM
Premium Member

I just read on a website mac rumors this article;

Apple's Lossless Audio Codec (ALAC) Now Open Source
Thursday October 27, 2011 5:16 pm PDT by Arnold Kim
On MacOSForge, Apple has announced that they are releasing the Apple Lossless Audio Codec as an open source project:

The Apple Lossless Audio Codec (ALAC) is a lossless audio codec developed by Apple and deployed on all of its platforms and devices for some years now. Apple is making the Apple Lossless Audio Codec (ALAC) available as an open source project. Full details can be found on the Apple Lossless Audio Codec project page.
The Apple Lossless Audio Codec is a similar to other "lossless" codecs such as FLAC which offer audio compression without any loss in audio information. ALAC is said to compress files only by "about half" as compared to the originals.

Formats such as MP3 and AAC are considered "lossy" and result in much greater compression but at the cost of some fidelity. The main advantage of using ALAC over competing lossless formats is that ALAC is supported by all of Apple's iPods and iOS devices. The format had already been reverse engineered prior to this release, but this opens the door to even more products supporting both ALAC creation and playback.

The project has been released under the Apache license.

& here is a link to the article; http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/27/...w-open-source/

it says ipods & other devices will support it if it is open source

I have an ipod, & had been ripping my albums in flac first & converting to mp3 to sync onto my ipod, but it would be nice to have them in an apple compatible lossless format as well.

would it be any benefit to me to convert my flac albums to Apple lossless as well? I have a windows program called dBpoweramp that can convert from one format to another.

would there be a loss in quality if I converted the flac files to have a set of apple lossless files of my albums?

would the loss be greater than if I re ripped my cd's to Apple lossless? this would be very tedious, & it would be easier for me to convert from my flac ripped albums to apple lossless without re ripping my cd's again.

right now, my lossless format is flac, & to compress or for lossy format for mp3 players I convert the flacs to mp3.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-31-2011, 09:18 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

FLAC is a standardized lossless format, Apple is proprietary.
I'd leave it as-is.

I don't know that there's a loss of quality from the conversion, but I think it's simply a poor use of your time.
I'd rather see you shoot some photos.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!