Go Back    Forum > Digital Life > Digital Devices

LinkBack Thread Tools
11-14-2014, 12:59 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

My favorite tape player, the Aiwa TX616, is no longer playing tapes. The radio works, but the tape player aspect will not move. It cannot REW/FF or play tapes.

This particular model has Dolby NR, and worked quite well on standard tapes.

This was my go-to player for converting audio cassettes to digital formats (usually WAV, FLAC or MP3). It's worked well since the 90s.

Sadly, the backup player has also died. Same issue, same age. It's a Garrard. I cannot find a model number. The user manual for it may be somewhere, but not sure where, to see if the model is listed there.

I cannot figure out how to open either, to see what is wrong. There are tiny screws to remove, but once those are removed, it still will not open up.

I bought a 'new' (used) Aiwa from eBay, and that one will hopefully work. However, I'd still really like to get these repaired. It has to be something simple, seeing as how both suddenly died.

We had more 'walkman' type tape players in a drawer outside. An actual Sony-branded Walkman from the 90s is dead, as is a Panasonic from the 70s. Only a really cheap and untrustworthy no-name from around 2000 still works, but its so hissy and trebly that its not really usable.

BTW: I'm not buying a manual from some Russian site online for $10-25. Screw that. Odds are it's not complete, hard to read, etc. I refuse to pay some opportunist a-hole for something he/she does not even own. If I can find either of these manuals, I'd add them to this threads. Service manuals and user manuals should be free.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-24-2014, 11:22 PM
Premium Member

Its likely the belts. The portable players tend to use "square" belts. Studio Sound Electronics stocks generic belt kits that usually do the job. Taking the unit apart is usually straight forward.

For transferring cassettes, a dedicated component unit is usually a better bet. Even a halfway decent dual deck will blow away a Walkman performance-wise and have Dolby B-C NR circuits. (I'll save the rest for another thread as that's going off topic)
01-05-2015, 01:42 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

I ended up buying a "new" (used) one.

There's not much need for audio cassette work these days, and it's just another thing that would sit in the closet and take up space 99% of the time. This specific walkman is small, works well, and fits in a desk drawer.

I eventually opened it up without a repair manual, and the belts were indeed screwed. It was not a size sold by the above site. The old one is now spare parts for the new one -- sans the belt, of course.

You never see this model on eBay much, so I got lucky.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
04-05-2020, 04:51 PM
Free Member

Hi did you ever get the info on the aiwa cassette . I have the same cassette with same issue . Belt came off and I need a schematic to know how to reset it. ... thank you, David

-- merged --

I have same type of cassette with same problem do you have a schematic of how to put the belt back on thank you David