Go Back    Forum > Digital Life > Digital Devices

LinkBack Thread Tools
09-07-2018, 12:53 PM
Free Member

Hi everyone,

My dad recently gifted me an 8 track player as well as some 8 track tapes that he wants me to convert to digital so that he can listen to them on his phone. I played the 8 track player and it sounds great from the speakers itself. I am trying to figure out how I will hook it up to my PC (I have audio and video capture cards). It has 2 ports on the back for external speakers. They look like 3.5 mm ports. Any help would be appreciated. See image below.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-07-2018, 03:13 PM
Free Member

If it has no line ouput, a headphone output will also be a good option.
If it only has loudspeaker level output, you need to reduce the output level first.
Don't know if your video capture device will be a smart option, because you have to rip the audio part of the video captured file, a cheap USB audio interface (dongle) will speed up your workflow, and will give better quality.
If the player can operate on battery,that would be handy, in case you hear mains hum in the sound, otherwise try to shortout ground loops if needed.

Last edited by Eric-Jan; 09-07-2018 at 03:24 PM.
09-14-2018, 06:36 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
You need a simple mini Y to mini stereo adapter/cable. Then mini in to sound card in.

Audio is simple compared to video.

I still have the family 8-track collection, mostly for nostalgia, and with at least 3 working players (one is a full stereo that we used for probably 30 years). But I don't think anything wasn't released later to CD or MP3. A few or dupes to LPs, and I have a nicer LP conversion setup (though in closet storage, rarely used, did bulk of my audio conversions in 90s).

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs