Go Back    Forum > Digital Life > Digital Devices

LinkBack Thread Tools
10-02-2018, 11:03 PM
Free Member

I have SVHS VCR, AverMedia Game Capture device, Canopus ADVC 110, MiniDV Camcorders, WDTV Live...etc which do not get used very often and sometimes kept in storage for more than an year before they are used even once.

Non-usage of such legacy electronic devices causes some damage to the inside electronic components? If yes, at what frequency I should be opening and using them?

I had a Panasonic DVD Player which worked perfectly fine. I stored it for 2 years and when connected to power recently, it didn't power up. The repair person told me that it had developed a problem in the board. The inside physical environment in the DVD Player was clean, no bugs or spiders or anything like that.

My storage conditions are clean, non-dusty, non-smokey. All items are stored inside plastic containers meant for storage.

Regards
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-03-2018, 12:38 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
The main issue with failure from lack of use if the capacitors.

When you do plug something in, for the purpose of exercising it, it' needs to be for at least 24 hours, not a few minutes or days. That's actually more detrimental than not. That excludes items that can't handle that length of powering on, like TBCs. (For a TBC, 2-4 hours of use will do.)

Moisture and temperature are also important, not just dust/smoke/etc as you mentioned. In your part of the world, how are your temperatures? Hot, I'd assume. But the bigger question is if it's temperature controlled in any way. Lots of items start to give out when temps rise above 85 degrees (F) aka 30 (C).

I have too many devices, and this is always a major undertaking. Cheaper things like capture cards and mere DVD players aren't on my to-do list.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
10-09-2018, 12:28 AM
Free Member

Thank you for the reply.

Quote:

When you do plug something in, for the purpose of exercising it, it' needs to be for at least 24 hours, not a few minutes or days. That's actually more detrimental than not.
I didn't understand this. Did you mean to say that such devices must be ON for atleast 24 hours once a while (say 6 months)? Is it just connecting to the power or actually "using" the devices such as playing tapes, capturing videos...etc?

Quote:
Moisture and temperature are also important, not just dust/smoke/etc as you mentioned. In your part of the world, how are your temperatures? Hot, I'd assume. But the bigger question is if it's temperature controlled in any way. Lots of items start to give out when temps rise above 85 degrees (F) aka 30 (C).
Yes, here it is hot. Typical temperature is 30(C), sometimes it can go higher than that in hot summers. During cooler periods, it can be 25 (C). But I don't do any active temperature control at home, not even sure what it involves. My devices are stored in sealed plastic containers and kept in cupboards/loft.