Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Copy DVDs, Duplicate, Replicate

LinkBack Thread Tools
09-27-2021, 04:03 PM
Premium Member

The intentions here with this thread/question is to get help with making a copy of two copyrighted VHS tapes over to a digital format and onto a flashdrive/thumbdrive, that's useable anywhere.
I know of the service LegacyBox but they will not copy over VHS tapes that contain copyrighted material.
With that explained, does anyone know of a service that is able to copy over the VHS tape as a file and place it onto a thumbdrive?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-27-2021, 05:40 PM
Free Member

They have a service here in this forum, But I'm not sure about copyrighted tapes, I know you are allowed to backup your own copyrighted media you bought as long as you keep the original copies.

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos
09-27-2021, 08:44 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terriggs View Post
The intentions here with this thread/question is to get help with making a copy of two copyrighted VHS tapes over to a digital format and onto a flashdrive/thumbdrive, that's useable anywhere.
I know of the service LegacyBox but they will not copy over VHS tapes that contain copyrighted material.
With that explained, does anyone know of a service that is able to copy over the VHS tape as a file and place it onto a thumbdrive?
Unless the tapes are some kind of rare special-interest material which is completely out of print (unusual), it would probably cost you more to use a service to transfer them from analog to digital than it would to find a copy on DVD...especially if you haunt eBay or the resale shops. Once you have a DVD or Blu-ray copy transferring to a digital thumb drive is fairly straightforward using software such as MakeMKV and HandBrake.

Edit To Add: It's also possible that they could be withdrawn material such as Song of the South or the original cut of the original Star Wars trilogy. I have those, legally—I found and purchased original LaserDisc and PAL VHS copies, which I still own, and I have the equipment and software to make backup copies for my own personal use. I do not trade or exchange copyrighted video, but there are collectors who do. I won't name names and this is probably the wrong forum to ask about such, but if you begin looking for collectors of rare video you may find one who is able to assist.

Last edited by ehbowen; 09-27-2021 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Add a thought.

Tags
copyrighted material copy, thumbdrive, vhs capture