07-21-2005, 04:14 AM
Premium Member

I am a novice at this and have used DVDShrink but I wanted to give DVD Decrypter a try. I got it and it is up to version 3.5.4.0. I never could reach the site listed in your Guide so I got it elsewhere. It has quite a few new settings but I tried to follow your Guide as closely as I could. Everything went fine until I tried to burn. The folder where I saved the DVD did not contain the MDS file even though I had the "create MDS File" box checked. All the files were in the folder and I burned the DVD on Roxio later (it played fine) but I would like to know why when I searched the source for the .MDS file there was not one?
When I ripped, I simply created a new folder on the desktop and told Decrypter to put the ripped files in it. What did I miss? My system is NTFS. I really like the fact this application shows the Manufacturer ID on the media.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-21-2005, 12:38 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

I'm a bit lost here. You list an awful lot of software, and it seems some info/details are missing.

MDS files are only created when you have a FAT32 operating system, 4GB limit, and the disc ISO is larger than 4GB. On an NTFS system, no such 4GB limit exists, it makes a big ISO file.

You only want to rip an ISO if the DVD is 4.38GB or less, the size of a recordable single-layer DVD. Or 7.95GB or less, for a dual-layer (or "double" layer) DVD recordable. For this operation, you rip in DVD Decrypter, as well as burn in DVD Decrypter.

If you have a source disc that is larger than 4.38GB, and you wish to make the copy onto a single layer DVD recordable, you have to shrink it. DVD Shrink is one piece of software, and DVD2ONE is the other one I suggest. For this kind of operation, you want to use DVD Decrypter in FILE MODE, and then use DVD Shrink to shrink and burn (either using the DVD Decrypter or Nero burning engines). Or use DVD2one and then burn the results in another software like Nero or RecordNow.

I would never use Roxio on the PC for anything whatsoever. I would not even install it.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
07-21-2005, 10:31 PM
Premium Member

I was just trying to follow the instructions on your guide. I took a DVD that is single layer (this one is less than 4 gigs) to give it a try. I mentioned NTFS so you would know I have XP as you explained in your "Edit DVD recorder discs on a PC" guide where you explain the difference between FAT32 and NTFS file systems.

The second to the last paragraph in the "Copy a DVD5 with DVD Decrypter" that starts out "Open MDS and Burn" says, "do NOT select the ISO file," When I clicked on the folder where the stored information was (up at Source)I saw no files ("All files" were selected in "Files of type" drop down window below). On your example you show an MDS file: (E:\DVDRips\Abbot_Cost_7.MDS). I could not get any file to show up.

When I opened my destination folder (the one I ripped to) using "My Computer" all the files were there. They just would not show on decrypter. Call me dense but I don't know what to do.
07-22-2005, 07:43 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

That guide is written from a "one size fits all" stance. When you have a FAT32 system, MDS is required. When you have NTFS, MDS is optional. So to cover all bases, I have you enable the MDS:

Be sure you have this enabled on the DVD Decrypter settings.

And then when it comes time to burn, to select the MDS. Since you're using NTFS on WinXP, you can go ahead and select the ISO file. Or the MDS. Either way works fine.

Your source files will appear where you saved them. The E:\ folder you mentioned was one I saved to on my guide, yours will be somewhere entirely different. Where that is, I don't know, you selected the destination (or let DVD Decrypter automatically do it for you). You'll have to find it.

Here is where the destination can be set:

In the image, it is automatically selected. You can select a destination manually, or even do semi-auto settings, which is what I do ("E:\DVD Rips" is mine, and then the DVD Decrypter makes new subfolders automatically inside that directory).

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
07-23-2005, 01:48 AM
Premium Member

Thanks again. I'll give it a whirl.