Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Copy DVDs, Duplicate, Replicate

LinkBack Thread Tools
06-14-2011, 05:25 AM
Free Member

Hello,

We are creating some flash based SCORM's for a client does not have a reliable and speedy internet connection so the informatio will be burned to CD.

How can we secure the CD from being copied and/or passed around? We need to maintain some level of security.and hamper people from copying it and passing it to their work buddies.

The second part of the this is that the information is split into 5 modules. Is there a way to make the CD load by itself to a screen where the people have the option of what module they go into? For example, have a table of contents or images with hyperlinks to the specific modules? On the backside of that, how could we send the user back to the splash screen after completing a module?

I hope I have covered this enough to get my point across....any direction would be appreicated!

Chees,
Dave
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-14-2011, 08:38 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Part 1: Copy protections for CD.

First: A history lesson...

Go back in time about 30+ years, and all computers stored data differently. Each computer system had unique storage methods (tapes, disks, etc), limits on the amount of data that could be stored on media, and differences in the physical size/shapes of the storage media. A Mac was unique compared to IBM, which was unique to other systems, etc. This kept costs high, and sharing data between systems was often impossible. From this mess came simplification by means of standardized formats -- first came floppy size/shape/storage, and later discs like CD and DVD. Same for other non-obvious aspects of computing, such as the USB port.

Companies forced themselves to interact and participate, for the greater good of all -- though lowering of cost was an obvious decision maker. If all devices used the same basic hard drives, floppies and discs, then they could be mass produced for a fraction of the cost.

Even video game consoles eventually ended their use of proprietary cartridges in the late 1990s and early 2000s, in favor of standardized media. (Or in some cases, small variations on standardized media.) Game systems had long been the hallmark of proprietary hardware. Game systems like the XBOX came with DVD drives, stored game data on DVD media, and was powered by a normal Intel Pentium III CPU.

Now, in order for standards to work, it means that the end-user hardware must accept and properly read/play/write to the media. All aspects of the media must conform to a standard, so that anybody can make it and use it, and it can be assured to work in all situations.

Why give this mini-lecture? Well, to explain the importance of standards, and to make it known that it applies to Compact Disc (CD).

Next: How does copy protection work?

When the standards were created, specific copy protections were included in the design plans. DVD, for example, specifically included CSS (Content Scrambling System) as digital copy prevention, as well as the Macrovision system to prevent analog copying. A few amendments to the specifications for DVD (and/or DVD-Video) allowed for DVD-R protections, as used by the Warner Brother Archives. Anything outside the standards is not officially allowed to use the DVD logo, as it violates the specs.

Any copy protections not written into the official specs must basically violate the specs of the format. This means that some, many or all devices may not properly interact with the readers/writers designed to work with that media. Many savvy computer users therefore refer to these protections as "schemes" because they are unofficial, and may often do nothing more than cause the user grief (due to loss in customers, hassles from tech support, etc) because the protections cause problems. All of the various protection schemes, of course, make promises about how they've conducted independent test with hundreds of drives .... blah blah blah. It's generally nothing more than meaningless prattle.

Next: What copy protections exist for CD? Also how to copy protect CD-R?

Copy protection (or more accurately "copy prevention") for CD was a more popular topic pre-DVD (or rather, before DVD hit mass consumption circa 2003-2005) and in the early post-MP3 era. At the time when making your own CDs was popular, using ill-gotten MP3 as the source, or ripped DVDs as the source, there was much attention given to CD protections. Many of the protections were aimed at VCDs (VideoCDs) or audio CDs. Quite a few hucksters were out their selling "copy protection" software (and even hardware) from about 2002-2007. Fast forward to 2011, and almost all of them have been forgotten. Most websites and companies peddling these protections disappeared, likely due to a mix of declining CD use mixed with a crappy recessed economy.

For the non-video, non-audio CD, you had to rely on in-programming checksum type protections (as used in games), or physical defects purposely added to the disc structure. Again, this came at the cost of problems, because it technically violates the specs of the formats.

India was, and still is, a mecca for CD protections, as it is a somewhat closed market for audio/video, where Bollywood still movies on VCD. The discs are infamous for not working in many CD devices, due to all sorts of asinine "protections" to prevent copying. The schemes are so good, in fact, that they even prevent playback. Oops.

Most of what exists now is something like Laserlock, which is only useful if you're mass-producing media and having it pressed (replicated) -- not burned. It also carries added costs.

Conclusion: Is there any way to copy protect a CD?

No.

What few options you have can create a costly mess, and there are still ways that media can be copied by a dedicated tech-savvy person. While it's true that most so-called "amateur copiers" will give up in less than 30 minutes, when left to their own devices, it's also true that quite a few of them know how to use Google. Within 10 minutes, and often with free software, a copy-protected disc quickly meets its copy.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
06-14-2011, 08:45 AM
Site Staff | Video

Part 2:
Quote:
The second part of the this is that the information is split into 5 modules. Is there a way to make the CD load by itself to a screen where the people have the option of what module they go into? For example, have a table of contents or images with hyperlinks to the specific modules? On the backside of that, how could we send the user back to the splash screen after completing a module?
Two options:
1. You'll have to write an application that launches at autoplay.
2. A slightly simpler method would be to create a simple webpage based system, with autoplay loading the HTML with the user's browser.

That will, of course, not always work.

For example, "autoplay" is a Windows concept, so it would not work on a Mac. For Mac, you'll have to create the Mac equivalent system for starting an app on disc insertion. (I've never done that with OS X, so I don't know all the details. I read about it once, back in 2010.) Users can also disable these autoplay options on their OS, so your system would not work. My computers, for example, do not have autoplay enabled, as it is a common entry method for malware (virus/trojan/worm, etc)

The web page method also assumes the computer has a web browser installed. And that it properly associates your .htm or.html with their choice web browser. While that should be the case, it's not always so.

Can it be done? Sure.
Will it work? Yes and no, as described above. It's not flawless.

06-14-2011, 08:48 AM
Free Member

Well then....that was a great lesson!

The end results was not what I wanted to hear, but a great lesson regardless.

So I am to understand to even at a basic level, there is no way to deter copying of a CD? I was hoping for something where I use 'The Magic Utility' to burn the DVD, and it puts at least some basic layer of protection.....I guess this is not the case then?

Thanks for the detailed explaination....well thought out and well put!

Cheers,

Dave
06-14-2011, 09:10 AM
Site Staff | Video

If you have a large sum of money to throw at it, I'm sure there's a way that you could inject actionscripting to verify against a checksum that's unique to a disc. That's an educated guess, not something I've seen used to date. It's going to take programming by somebody that is good at what they do. (Somebody able to think on their own, with a good command of the underlying technologies, and not a typical monkey-see/monkey-do type of hack coder.)

If you use a DVD, you can always opt for CSS. It means your discs must be pressed, and it will add costs to your product. While it won't deter an experienced copier, your average Nero user will be confused and may give up. Of course, again, that person may simply take it to their local "computer guy" and ask that he do it. Or refer to Google, and find a program (some free, some not).

All you can really do is spend lots and lots and lots of money to be a minor nuisance.

The best counter to copying is to simply provide the products at a reasonable fee. That's long been the problem with RIAA (music) and MPAA (movies), demanding premium pricing for something that has little value in the mind of the buyer. In some cases, demanding the buyer buy the format he/she doesn't even want, such as CD vs MP3, or DVD/Blu-ray vs something for the iPad. Thus forcing the consumer to buy the unwanted version (DVD) and then copying it (to computer) to make the desired version (MPEG-4 for iPad). In the eyes of a consumer, this is valid use. To the eyes of MPAA, you're an evil pirate bastard that should go bankrupt, sit in jail for life, and rot in hell for all eternity.

Rather than preventing your audience from doing something, work with them to put their habits to your benefit. For example, cheap multi-use license that comes with "free" disc copies, maybe even unique online ID per person to access more content online (bonus, mirrored, etc). Don't fight your buyers, you'll just lose.