Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Copy DVDs, Duplicate, Replicate

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-22-2011, 01:04 AM
Premium Member

I looked through a thread about copying dvds using DVD decrypter & others, but these are windows programs.

I am ripping backup copies of my movie dvds on a mac. Dont know if anybody can help with this, or if anybody here knows about ripping dvds on a mac.

I have been currently using Mac DVDRipper Pro, to create .iso image files of the discs, & also ripping with Mac The ripper to rip discs so they are region free.

I have run into a couple of minor problems;

I like Mac DVD rippers ability to make .iso files of the DVDs, for simpler burning back to a blank disc, but this program cannot remove region coding on the DVD's.

So I went & found Mac the Ripper, & it seems to be able to remove region encoding on region specific discs, but it does not offer .iso file options, it will make a full extraction of the disc, but places VIDEO_TS & AUDIO_TS folders into a single DVD volume folder.

This is ok, but i am having trouble finding exact or clear instructions on how I would burn these folders back to a blank disc for playback. so I am not sure what to do with these folders & files, that is why I like just a simple single .ISO file to burn.

or perhaps I need to find more capable software with more options that can do both things i have outlined; ripping to .ISO files, & removing region coding & copy protection. Are there any mac versions that can do this?

__

I suppose I could use a windows program on my mac through virtulization software of parallels desktop, but this would seem to run more resources on my mac just rip DVD's & I would like to keep things running lite on my mac.

right now, it seems I have ended up using both programs to burn a copy of each disc, Mac DVD Ripper Pro for an .ISO file, & Mac the ripper for removing coding. there must be a more efficient way of doing this, I dont mind having full copies that are not compressed, but would prefer just a single copy.

I am new to backing up movie DVD's, & no I dont need a lecture about copyright infringement, i have no bad intentions, I just want to back them up so I dont scratch the original with repeated handling.

I would like to make 1:1 exact copies of the originals with all titles & menus so I can make copies of the originals, to blank discs at a later date, with universal readable formats for both mac & pc.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-22-2011, 07:56 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

You had two posts with two questions, so I split them.
The first question about burning an ISO on Mac is here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/dvd-...-dvds-mac.html
---

Mac OS X is not a very good platform for video work, outside of the few workflows it's been designed for (ProRes, DV, HDV, few others). It simply lacks adequate tools to do most tasks, including advanced work with DVDs (decompiling, ripping, etc). When tools do exist, they tend to be very limited compared to what exists on Windows. This isn't anti-Mac rhetoric -- I'm rather fond of my Mac mini and iPad -- simply an honest observation and assessment of the situation.

What you're doing now is probably as good as it's going to get.

As another alternative, try DVDFab for Mac.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
The following users thank kpmedia for this useful post: mikeey (03-09-2013)
12-23-2011, 05:51 AM
Premium Member

Thanks for this link, I downloaded it. & opened it, it looks like it is a trial version.

what would be the best settings to use for an exact copy? i notice it had choices of DVD5 or DVD9
12-23-2011, 06:00 AM

The trial status is explained on the DVDFab site.
You'll want to refer to the documentation for the software. An "exact copy" means no size changing.

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
12-24-2011, 03:08 AM
Premium Member

I went to the website link in the launch screen to find more out, but could not seem to find what i was looking for.

When I launch DVDFab, I get a screen with all the different versions listed & whether they are trial versions or free, hd decrypter is at the bottom listed as free, I can highlight it, but I cant seem to launch it alone, there is only a tab to click on at the bottom that says open DVDFab.

i only seem to be able to open DVDFab & not just HD decrypter.
02-20-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sossity View Post
I can highlight it, but I cant seem to launch it alone, there is only a tab to click on at the bottom that says open DVDFab. i only seem to be able to open DVDFab & not just HD decrypter.
There is technically not a separate program known as "DVDFab HD Decrypter".
It's simply a limited trial mode of the full DVDFab program. As such, you'll run the full program in a limited mode when unpaid.

This was an unanswered question or unresolved issue found during a site audit. It's hard to have an FAQ when the answers are missing, or final outcomes are unknown. At The Digital FAQ support forum, questions are never intentionally ignored, and may have been missed due to a forum glitch or human error. More details on the audit. (In some cases, threads have been edited/updated with newer information.)

Closed Thread