digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Copy DVDs, Duplicate, Replicate (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/dvd-copy/)
-   -   Don't understand DVDFab for Mac - How to use? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/dvd-copy/3767-understand-dvdfab-mac.html)

Sossity 12-26-2011 08:53 PM

Don't understand DVDFab for Mac - How to use?

I tried to make a full disc copy of a DVD with DVDFab, & it said the process failed, I tried watching the tutorial, but it was not any help.

in one of the steps it shows to choose a discs region, but all it shows is a pop up window to choose the region, I dont know where this option is, I dont see an option or box for choosing a region.

could someone just outline how to make a copy with this program, right now I am not finding it easy to use.

I want to make an exact copy of my DVDs just as they are originally, with region & copy protection coding removed.

I would like to save them as .ISO files for later burning to blank discs.

I am also having difficulty finding & just using HD Decrypter, when i treid to download it I get the whole DVD Fab package, & when I launch it, there is only the option to launch DVDfab, not DVD decrypter.

Sossity 01-04-2012 01:39 AM

trouble with free part hddecrypter of dvd fab for mac

I am currently using the free version of dvdfab for mac; the hd dvd decrypter, & DVD copy since the other trials have expired.

I am trying to make exact copies of my dvd's with region & other coding removed.

when ever I choose to make an .iso file as the target & choose an directory to a folder I want the copied dvd to be, I get a popup that says please specify path of image burn or nero at first, I then click the ok button, & it opens up the common settings window.

I dont know what I am supposed to do once I am in the common settings window, or where to choose this path that it wants.

is the .iso file option disabled with free hd decrypter?

lordsmurf 01-04-2012 02:25 PM

Quote:

is the .iso file option disabled with free hd decrypter?
Probably. You might have to rip to files, and make an ISO later.
A Mac is really not the best computer to backup DVDs. It's very limited in abilities, for this task.

admin 01-04-2012 04:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Try this for folders to ISO: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/30663/anytoiso-lite
A copy is also attached to this post, for your convenience.

I've not yet used it, but it's the only OS X freeware tool I see capable of making ISO files from folders.

Sossity 01-04-2012 09:11 PM

I do have a copy of windows XP pro on my mac as a virtual machine, I could use this to back up my dvd's with a windows program.

If I use windows, what are some good freewares for backing up dvd's, removing copy protection, codes, but keeping all the other dvd stuff intact, & can copy/save to an .iso file as well as folders.

kpmedia 01-05-2012 10:58 PM

I'm getting this, too: Please specify path of Nero or ImgBurn at first.

It's a bug in DVDFab for Mac, and others are able to recreate this issue. This error has existed for months, and the company is aware of it. However, it seems they don't care. The software developer, Fengtao, has stated that the "fix" is to buy the program. Sort of a cop-out, as far as I'm concerned. "The trial version is broken? Oops. I guess you'll just have to buy the program then. Hyuck, garsh." (... in my best Goofy impression.)

It's not you, it's the software. :(

It appears to be a direct port of the Windows version, so everything works the same. And therein lies the problem -- everything works the same, including how it insists on either of two Windows-only programs be installed (ImgBurn or Nero).

It's also extremely slow. A 3GB DVD of music videos took 30 minutes. That's a bit much.

kpmedia 01-05-2012 11:21 PM

AnyToISO Lite does not work for DVD-sized images.

However, you can use ImgBurn with Wine (WineBottler) installed. ImgBurn is freeware, Wine is freeware, WineBottler (Mac installer for Wine) is free.
ImgBurn can write ISO images just fine, through Wine. It won't read a disc or burn a disc, however, just write ISO files.
You can also use ImgBurn inside any virtual machine you may already have (like VirtualBox, Parallels or VMWare Fusion).

So this is a viable method:
  • Step 1: Read disc with DVDFab, rip disc to folders
  • Step 2: Write folders to ISO in ImgBurn
  • Step 3: Put all ISO files where you want to keep them. (I'm guessing an external USB hard drive?)