03-12-2016, 08:03 PM
Free Member

Okay, so I have a ton of home movies that had at one point been turned into DVD's, and then were ripped from those DVD's to an old hard drive. Quite a few of them are missing files (mainly the small files that, if I'm not mistaken, pertain to menu functions.) Unfortunately, many of these I no longer have the original tapes so I'm trying to salvage them to be playable on a stand-alone DVD player.

I'm not above creating new menus if I can find software to handle this. To date, the only software I've found that will allow me to turn these VOB files into a DVD is WinX DVD Author, but it compresses the video HORRIBLY. (It takes what was about 4 gb worth of video files and compresses it to just about a gigabyte.) I also have Pinnacle 14, which I thought I could use to do this, but that will not read the VOB files.

So what I'm looking for is recommendations to software that either
a) works like WinX DVD Author but without compressing the files or
b) will allow me to convert (I know this is probably the wrong word for the process) the VOBs into a format Pinnacle will let me read and recreate the video that way, again, without compressing the video.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-14-2016, 09:06 AM
Remembered

Quote:
VOBs..................... let me read and recreate the video that way, again, without compressing the video.
Womble 5
[Mpeg Video Wizard DVD5]
The following users thank Goldwingfahrer for this useful post: MusicInTheStars (03-14-2016)
03-14-2016, 10:05 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicInTheStars View Post
Okay, so I have a ton of home movies that had at one point been turned into DVD's, and then were ripped from those DVD's to an old hard drive.
I know what you mean but you don't mean "rip", which has more specific meaning than just "copy". If it meant copy alone, you could say something like "I used my Xerox machine to rip 14 copies of a document," LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicInTheStars View Post
I'm not above creating new menus if I can find software to handle this. To date, the only software I've found that will allow me to turn these VOB files into a DVD is WinX DVD Author, but it compresses the video HORRIBLY. (It takes what was about 4 gb worth of video files and compresses it to just about a gigabyte.) I also have Pinnacle 14, which I thought I could use to do this, but that will not read the VOB files.
WinX DVD Author = no.
Pinnacle: I don't understand why people use it.

You'll have to create new menus and VIDEO_TS folders for DVD.

Womble will do it, but its specs don't list VOB as an input. Probably it would accept VOB anyway.

DVDVOB2MPG is free software that will repackage VOB into an MPG container without re-encoding. But it doesn't do anything else, no menus, no DVD structure, etc. And I wasn't always pleased with the results, it's as if DVDVOB2MPG screwed up some file header information somehow on some files.

TMPGEnc Authoring Works doesn't list VOB as input by name, but you can import VOB "as-is" by specifying "all files" as the input format. Hasn't failed me so far, and is a full-fledged smart renderer (if you need to edit) and authoring/burning app. Free trial available.

VideoRedo TV Suite 5 is a similar app and has no problem importing VOB. Clean results, and can create basic menus and VIDEO_TS folders as well as burn the results. I seem to get somewhat cleaner output and playback with VideoReDo. Smartt renders too if you need it and has a free trial.

Frankly, the last time I had to do this I used the free DGIndex utility in DGMPGdec to make pristine and copy-perfect demuxed versions of VOBs (demux means separating the VOB into an m2v elementary video stream which is MPEG video and a separate elementary AC3 audio stream). Almost any authoring program will accept those files, including TMPGEnc and VideoReDo. Pinnacle might balk at this, as it doesn't do anything really well anyway. As far as I know, demuxing properly is the most accurate way to reorganize a VOB. PgcDemux is a similar utility but DGIndex is the popular standard. DGIndex is a standalone utlity needing no installer.

Last edited by sanlyn; 03-14-2016 at 10:37 AM.
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: MusicInTheStars (03-14-2016)
03-14-2016, 05:41 PM
Free Member

Thank you both for your suggestions. I know sometimes my terminology is a bit 'off' so thank you for putting up with me .

I'm downloading the suggested software and will likely try them in turn to see which one is easiest for me.

As for Pinnacle ... blame it on not knowing better a dozen years ago when I first started playing with video - it was better than the Nero authoring software at the time I'd been using (as evidenced by my coming across a disk I authored with Nero that looks like complete crap by comparison.) Only reason I'm still using Pinnacle is I got lucky enough to find the disk when I decided to start playing with video after a long time with no computer - it's ... for lack of a better word, familiar in a world of new software options. And that stupid WinXDVD Author thing was more just a chance encounter while looking for freeware to attempt it recreating those old DVD's which I was lucky to find the VOB files for since the disks are long gone. Glad it was free because you're right - worthless. Note to self - next time skip the google search and just ask the experts.
04-26-2016, 02:00 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
Womble MPEG Video Wizard DVD 4 or 5 is the best choice. It's also the only tool suggested for DVD-VR discs. Womble has the unique ability to ignore non-video data, which confuses most other editors.

Never use WinX chinaware junk.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs