Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Copy DVDs, Duplicate, Replicate

LinkBack Thread Tools
04-11-2010, 04:27 PM
Free Member

Hello everyone at Digitalfaq, my name is Eddie and I have a huge problem creating DVDs.

Recently my mother came to town and looking at my dvds, she asked if we could watch something interesting. I didn't know what to watch but I thought she would get a kick out of the reimagined Battlestar Galactica so I threw in the 3 hour pilot miniseries and she loved it. We continued on with seasons 1 and 2 before she had to leave. I copied the whole series,(Razor, The Plan, and all), using AnyDvd and sent it to her. Her and my aunt are now big fans of the show!

(No shock here...i'm kind of a nerd) I always wanted a dvd set that had the whole Star Trek franchise in chronological order. My mother and aunt asked if i could do it. If so, they want a copy of the project.

I set out to see if it was possible. First i downloaded the last version of DvdDecrypter and in IFO mode, I stripped two ST:Enterprise ("In a Mirror, Darkly parts 1and2) and two ST:The Original Series episodes ("Tholian Web/Mirror Mirror) to my hard drive.

Then I downloaded Nero Vision Express version 3.1.0.25 and successfully created the disc I always wanted. Burned to hard disc and burned it using CloneDvd 2. That told me it was possible. My mother paid for the discs and the cases.

I continued...I wanted the first disc to be ST:The Next Generation episodes "Q Who" and a special edit of "Best of Both Worlds" w/DS9 pilot intro added. I created the edit with nero and imported Q Who's .VOBs to nero. It came segmented in 3 parts. I merged the parts and tried to burn. The smartencoding won't go over the segment breaks. Audio is 100% Video is at 99.7%. Error log says Buffer Overflow. I switched to 2-pass and it continued over the segment breaks, but there is a visable hickup on the dvd during the episode and then the Audio goes slightly off...just enough.

The 3 segments individualy come out to 100% video smartencoding.

I then updated to nero 9, hoping that a new version would fix the problem. There, the episode was imported into 3 segments again. The thumbnail for the 3rd changed so I took a better look. The episode has a running time of 45 min. but in nero vision 9 its only 38 min. A major chunk of segment 3's opening has dissapeared. I don't know what to do, more importantly i don't know what to tell my mom.

So I ask you fine people of Digitalfaq for your wisdom and help in this matter. Any ideas? Thank you in advance for your time.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-12-2018, 07:07 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
The weak link here was Nero -- it is and always was terrible software at everything (other than burning, which it eventually did poorly as well).

All of the merging stuff should have never happened.

Copying DVDs is this easy:
- Ripping in DVD Decrypter (TV shows), or something newer like DVDFab (movies)
- Shrinking from DVD9 to DVD5, as wanted/needed, in DVD Shrink
- Burning in Imgburn (either DVD9 to DL media, or DVD5 to standard DVD-R)

Of course, old topic. Who still copies DVDs to new DVDs anymore?

This was an unanswered question or unresolved issue found during a site audit. It's hard to have an FAQ when the answers are missing, or final outcomes are unknown. At The Digital FAQ support forum, questions are never intentionally ignored, and may have been missed due to a forum glitch or human error. More details on the audit. (In some cases, threads have been edited/updated with newer information.)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs