06-06-2010, 03:47 AM
Free Member

you know how on some dvds they show you a before & after restoration?
half the screen is before, and half the screen is after.

so, my question to you is, how to replicate that?

what i have is an uncompressed video and the same video compressed.

i want to author a sort of demo dvd for my friend, so that he can witness both the videos and judge for himself whether he is ok with the compressed video.

he wants to see the difference on his big screen tv, rather than on a computer monitor.

so, how do i get that split screen comparision?
what tools / apps do i need?

over...
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-19-2010, 07:42 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Hmmmmm..... this is hard to answer.

Somebody I know was reading this post, and sent me an email about it. He/she said it best, to be honest:

Quote:
Not to sound like a 'wise guy', but someone has left a rather comical post in the forum called, "How to author a comparision dvd" (nice job spelling there, heh...)

The author needs to explain to his "friend" how a DVD works (that the medium is almost always prepared with compression introduced) and that you can't make a DVD with an .avi (for example) file and 'preview it on his big screen TV'.

The "friend" is already 'okay with compression' whether they realize it or not (and, of course it almost goes without saying that the party does not realize this...)

You need to spend some more time in the forum section so your members can gain a better understanding of the digital realm and pass on the info to misinformed consumers!
That's really about it.

The only way to do this is to connect a computer to a very large (55-60") screen, and then play both uncompressed and compressed formats on the display using software that doesn't augment the quality in any way. This means no deinterlacers. Beyond that, you'd have to frequently stop and point out exact areas in frames, such as blocks, mosquito noise and color palette compressions.

If you made a DVD, all you'd be doing is simulating errors, and he could accuse you of fudging the data.

Maybe this is an intentional trick question?

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
06-20-2010, 03:27 AM
Free Member

i'll admit i don't know much about video formats, dvd formats etc. so if all dvds have sort level of compression - ok so be it. i don't care about all that technical stuff.

would you all agree that if i used dvd shrink on a retail +9 dvd (and not better re-encoders like CCE) to compress it to fit a +5 dvd, the image quality would suffer?

all i was trying to get at was, say my friend viewed a retail +9 dvd on his tv and then saw my compressed +5 version of that same dvd - he should see some compression artefacts, right? or at least some degradation of the quality of the image. (at least on some movies / shows)

hence, i wanted to create a side by side type dvd, one side the original reatil dvd, the other my compressed version.

if this could be done, it may be easier to view the difference in quality between the two.

so my question is, is this possible? what tools would i need to do it?

are you still saying there is no software app that can do this?

what do the pros use to show the side by side comparisons?
like in the bonus sections of some dvds, when they show before and after restoration.

anyway, close this thread. i think the answer is no. ta all the same.
06-20-2010, 04:33 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

What editing software do you have at your disposal?
  • Vegas
  • Premiere
  • Final Cut Pro
  • Edius
  • something else?
There's an answer to what you want to do -- sort of.
I want to explain it all, so it makes sense. I know you make a lot of really good DVD menus, too -- and this info will actually help you at that task, too! So it's worth continuing the conversation, I assure you.

Let me know what NLE you have, and we'll go from there.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
06-20-2010, 05:15 AM
Free Member

i see that i made the mistake of writing "uncompressed video and the same video compressed".

what i meant was a retail +9 dvd and also the same dvd compressed (with dvd shrink) to fit a +5 dvd.

ok - sorry about that.
lets not go down the avi or some other raw type uncompressed video format.

and yes, even in my limited technical knowledge, i do know that retail dvds have some levels of compression.

with that out of the way, i have seen a picture in picture effect in sony vegas. and as useful as that is, it is not quite the side by side effect i'd like.

so, i'm sinply trying to find out if there is a piece of software out there which will take 2 bits of video, say 1 minute samples of the +9 dvd and my re-made +5 dvd, and then produce another video / clip / whatever that shows half of one and half of the other simultaneously?

doesn't matter even if doing this produces even more problems / issues / artefacts etc.

this is a simple demo product to show my friend so he can see for himself whether he'd like the +9 "quality" of video or he will be content with extra levels of compression / artefacts that dvd shrink will introduce.

thanks.