06-20-2010, 01:10 PM
Free Member

Hey lordsmurf.. followed your posts on videohelp for couple of years.

I just upgraded to Windows 7, added the d3drm.dll file to my system 32 folder and x86 DVDWS2 folder. But DVDWS2 just hangs when I import the ac3 file from the Edit tab. It hangs for at least few minutes and closes. I also tried importing into the ac3 file folder in WS2 but that didn't work either--same thing--hangs and closes.

The demuxed are simple mpeg2 video and ac3 audio files. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-21-2010, 12:40 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbatty View Post
Hey lordsmurf.. followed your posts on videohelp for couple of years.
Awesome. Yep, your username is familiar.

Quote:
I just upgraded to Windows 7, added the d3drm.dll file to my system 32 folder and x86 DVDWS2 folder.
That's really all that's needed to get Ulead DVD Workshop 2 to work correctly on Windows Vista or Windows 7.

Quote:
But DVDWS2 just hangs when I import the ac3 file from the Edit tab. It hangs for at least few minutes and closes. I also tried importing into the ac3 file folder in WS2 but that didn't work either--same thing--hangs and closes.
This sounds like a classic issue with corruption or other oddities within the AC3. However, if you're sure that's not it, I'll proceed...

There's really no need to import AC3 into the audio assets folder. I know this has been covered in past threads, with the forum member superstar. But I can't find it, so here we go another time...
  1. Go to the main EDIT tab.
  2. Go to your video on the "timeline" at the bottom of the program. Click on it. Or double-click. Make it the active selection.
  3. Then click on the Audio sub-tab.
  4. Click the add + icon, and then add your AC3 this way.
see image: (you must be logged in to view images)
dvdws-ac3-audio-add.jpg

This sometimes works better than the other methods. There are sometimes several ways to do the same task in DVDWS2 -- this is one of those times.

Try that.

Quote:
The demuxed are simple mpeg2 video and ac3 audio files. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Have you considered just leaving the files muxed? Or are they separated because of something else you've done earlier in your workflow? (i.e., restoring the audio, then separating encoding it to AC3)

DVDWS2 has a professional implementation of the Dolby Digital 2/0 AC3 encoder -- I use it quite a bit when restoring audio. I just give DVDWS2 the WAV files, and let it convert. I have a template set that changes all audio to 256k or 384k AC3, but leaves video alone if compliant (which mine always is, and should always be for best quality -- never let authorware re-encode video).

DVD WS also includes a 5/1 simulated surround sound, built from stereo, but it's just a waste of space in my opinion -- I don't suggest the simulated surround encoding. (It doesn't do true 5.1 encoding. Not sure if it authors 5.1, actually -- never needed to do it.)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
06-21-2010, 02:10 PM
Free Member

Thanks, ls. I didn't even stop to think whether the audio file was corrupted. This is my very first authoring attempt in WS2. So I'll have to try another project and see if I have problems importing ac3 files.

But yes, I almost always import the audio via the method used in your link -- straight from the Edit menu/tab. I'll also mux the two files and try to import, and see what happens (after work tonight).

Will post up results. Again, thanks.