Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Author, Make Menus, Slideshows, Burn

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-17-2010, 12:55 PM
Free Member

Send a message via AIM to bbartley9
I know there can be issues with burned DVDs not playing on some players, but I have experienced it now myself with some home videos we converted from VHS to DVD, following what I think are some safe steps. These DVDs do play just fine on our Sony DVD player (prob 6 yrs old now) and on all computers, but will only play on one of three DVD players that a relative of ours uses (one new Blu-Ray, two regular DVD players, maybe 5 yrs old each.. one works, the other doesn't). The discs don't load at all, just show an error of some sort. Just trying to determine if there is something I can adjust to make it better, or if it's usually an issue with the players. Here are the details:

- Using Verbatim DVD-R (4.7GB) - using the standard discs, *not* the Life Series
- Videos are about 1.5 hrs long, Mpeg2 output from MainConcept Reference 2.1 encoded at 5K bitrate or so, the Audio is Dolby AC3 encoded
- Authoring with with DVD Studio Pro 4, using simple top menu only. (single layer, multiple region codes, a handful of chapter markers) I can give more details about the DVDSP4 settings if it would help
- Burning with a Macbook Pro (2008) superdrive

The discs come out great, as far as I can tell.. just can't play them everywhere. I don't have the details on the players right now, but am looking for some guidance on whether this is most likely a DVDSP4 issue, or the burning drive I am using, which I may have some control over.

thanks!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-21-2010, 10:28 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

I'd almost have to see a disc at this point, to analyze the contents in IFO Edit, as well as some other methods of observation. Another choice it to try a DVD+R booktyped to DVD-ROM, and see if that makes any difference. Sometimes it does, sometimes not.

You've done due process, and have a good method.

What was the max bitrate in Reference? I'm assuming you did a VBR encode. The DVD template may have been too high, although I doubt it. But I still want to verify all possible settings in Reference. Are you sure the GOP isn't too long, too?

The multi region codes may also be part of the error. Pick no regions.

What specific error do the players give?

I've noticed about a 2-3x coaster % from some projects I've done recently, where MCC DVD-r 16x were used, so I've taken to scanning 100% of media, even the intermediaries (deliverables to clients, to avoid FTP up/down time). Instead of 0-2% of discs being bad, I'm seeing as many as 5% being bad (or five discs per 100-spindle). Did you test each disc? Note that 5% is still within norms, and tolerable for 1st Class media as per the "best blank DVDs" review. It's just been a few years (4x days?) since MCC hit the 5% ceiling so much.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!