05-10-2016, 06:34 PM
Free Member

I have been reading this forum for a while and have found some really good info. However I also find that a lot of info is 4,5 or 6 years old and links are dead or software is not available

Does anyone have an opinion on the software ConvertXtoDVD6?

I am looking for something to convert .avi to DVD, create menu and burn to disc. I have tried other software only to find it destroys the video quality in the process.

I am new so please don't nuke the new guy if you find this question lame!

Thanks for any help
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-10-2016, 09:17 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles845 View Post
Does anyone have an opinion on the software ConvertXtoDVD6?
The software is current (new version posted a couple of days ago). It depends on a) what you're using for input to the software, b) what you expect from an all-in-one convert/re-encode/author/burn, 4-apps-in-one for $50. I'd be very leary of any "DVD conversion" software that advertises how it can de-interlace your video for DVD, which is probably great marketing for clueless users who don't know better but who think it sounds cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles845 View Post
I am looking for something to convert .avi to DVD, create menu and burn to disc. I have tried other software only to find it destroys the video quality in the process.
Not to be hard on you, but we need more information. "AVI" is a container, not a format. It can accept many codecs, among which are DV. XVid, Divx, RM, VP7, VC-1, MPEG4, MPEG1, etc., etc., etc. Where did these AVI's come from? Do you know how they were created? What codec do they use? Is the frame size acceptable for DVD, or do the AVIs require resizing -- and if so, are the AVIs interlaced or use any form of pulldown ? What software did you use that gave you poor quality with your AVI files?
05-10-2016, 10:09 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
ConvertXtoDVD is excellent software, but for a very narrow use. It's essentially a tool of choice for downloaded (usually unofficially) TV shows. It's a terrible tool to make DVDs from captures.

The biggest advantages are:
- 16x9 content authoring
- 16x9 menus, or no menus
- PAL 25 and NTSC 23.976 framerate support
- progressive content support

Essentially the sort of content that you get from "the scene".

A lot of DVD authorware is still geared to SD captures, and full 16x9 support isn't there.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: sanlyn (05-10-2016)
05-10-2016, 10:18 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
[EDIT] oops, lordsmurf beat me to it, took me too long to read up on the software.

I get the idea from the O.P.'s earlier posts that the AVis in question are lossy captures. But that's an assumption awaiting correction.
05-11-2016, 05:22 AM
Free Member

Sorry guys...my setup is Panasonic AG1980 > TBC1000 > Elite video BVP-4 > USB Capture device(elgato). I don't have a capture card on my desktop so i have to use USB.

I capture VHS using VirtualDub and Huffy. I am learning to use filters and such in VirtualDub (also experimenting with Premiere.) Once the file has been filtered in VirtualDub, i then save file as .avi which is some where around 70GB

Then i was using ConvertXtoDVD6 to create menus, turn the .avi into a DVD file and burn in DVD9. My thought was less compression using DVD9 and i wanted to try and keep file on 1 DVD. Sorry, i am still learning all the proper terminology.

I am sure this is not the right end process because i seem to lose a lot of quality in the converting/burning stage.
05-11-2016, 06:40 AM
Free Member

Additional note to clarify...when i finish in virtualDub and save as .avi - i save using Huffy codec again. I use Huffy on original capture and then when saving file back

At this point, i am looking for a software to then design menu, convert to DVD and burn
05-12-2016, 05:38 AM
Free Member

I think i figured it...looks like tmpgenc authoring works 5 will do what i need.

Tags
convertxtodvd6