digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Author, Make Menus, Slideshows, Burn (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/dvd-menus/)
-   -   Suggestions for DVD Encoding and Authoring Please (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/dvd-menus/9929-suggestions-dvd-encoding.html)

Mikey32 08-05-2019 01:30 PM

Suggestions for DVD Encoding and Authoring Please

Hi.

A few weeks ago, well probably more weeks than I remember, a friend turned up with three VHS tapes in one hand, a bottle of wine in the other, and said ‘Can you make it so I can show these to my kids?’ The tapes were family recordings made by his late father, which essentially captured the early years of my friends children. Priceless family memories.

The recordings had been compiled onto 3 hour tapes at SP, so not original. I captured each tape into a Huffyuv file, then split each file into what I referred to as a ‘chapter’ which represented one discrete event, wedding, holiday, party etc. Each chapter was given a file name that suggested the content and where possible the month and year it was shot, (the original camera put this info on the tape, sometimes).

Then, thanks to the knowledgeable members of this forum with their posts and sample scripts. Each chapter was then lightly restored using Virtualdub and Avisynth, (that was a learning curve), e.g.; camcorder denoise, level adjustement head switching noise masked out and a little colour correction here and there. I am not going claim these are perfect, but at a normal viewing distance they are not bad, and of course infinitely better than what my friend has at the moment.

So now I have 47 ‘chapters’ to put onto DVDs’ which is what I’ve been asked to do, and as I have zero knowledge and experience of authoring to DVD, I’d like to ask you guys for some help and advice.

First of all, I understand that DVD have the concept of chapters, which point to a segment of a video file, and authoring software can use this to go straight to that point, and start playing. So is it advantageous to join the files into one and create chapters pointing to each. Or is it better to stay with individual files?

Are there any recommendations for authoring software? I would prefer something current which will run on my 64bit Windows 10 desktop, preferably supported by some form of tutorial(s) that will enable me to grasp the ability to make menu’s, burn disks and print titles on them. In addition, I would also like it to have the ability to author Blue Ray discs as well.

Also suggestions for the ‘best’, (if there is such a thing), encoder to MPEG-2, again something that is current and will run on my desktop, and maybe integrated with the authoring software.

Any suggestions and advice will be welcome.

Many thanks

Regards.

Mike

lordsmurf 08-05-2019 06:27 PM

Honestly, if you want the best authoring software, spin up an XP VM, and run DVDWS2. However, I've had to problems running it native in Win7. No audio preview, but that's it. And I don't really care about that, I know what the audio sounds like already.

See the premium forum for DVDWS2 guide, where to get it, etc.

You'll output ISO from authorware, burn in ImgBurn.

You need to create some assets, at minimum a menu background image that 720x540. I guess it could be black, but that's boring. I need to flesh out my guide sometimes, higher res, video tutorial.

captainvic 08-06-2019 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsmurf (Post 63184)
Honestly, if you want the best authoring software, spin up an XP VM, and run DVDWS2.

lordsmurf, did DVDWS2 edge out Ulead DVD Workshop 2 in your opinion? I thought I read in an older post that you preferred Ulead DVD Workshop 2.

lordsmurf 08-06-2019 02:51 PM

DVDWS2 = Ulead DVD Workshop 2 ;)

captainvic 08-06-2019 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsmurf (Post 63196)
DVDWS2 = Ulead DVD Workshop 2 ;)

Ahhh, yes! Thanks for the clarification. :smack: