Go Back    Forum > Digital Publishing / Web Sites > Web Hosting

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-13-2017, 01:46 AM
Free Member

Hello.

My purpose to join this forum was to get some assistance from kpmedia as I have been reading his posts and I think he's a legit authority to get some advice on webhost... Having said that, I invite other members as well to see if they can provide a helpful answer. Here's my case.

I am a wanna-be blogger who is always prone to get stuck in choosing the best web host. Because of my Too much of a picky nature. My intention is to launch a fresh wordpress blog and write. It would be a personal blog.

I do not expect high traffic. I am not going to upload heavy content. Just a minimal blog. But I want reliability. I need my webhost to be fast and dependable.

As I have been following kpmedia's trail so I have come down to two webhosts. 1-stablehost 2-eurovps

Though I have made account with stablehost and I am happy with their service and response time on tickets. I have chosen their NL servers because I am Pakistan based. I bought UNLIMITED STARTER 1 domain plan + dedicated ip for SSL. (though they have SNI but I thought it maybe helpful) But I just to ask if eurovps shared hosting plans are even better than that?

Inmtionhosting and siteground couldn't impress me, though they are finest ones out there. Again, It is me, not them.

Kpmedia, do you think that eurovps shared hosting service is better than stablehost? or do you have any other suggestion for me. I am just in need for peace of mind that I am in good hands and I can forget everything and start writing which is my intention.

I just want the best service for the price.

Thanks in advance. You're doing a great job.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-13-2017, 03:14 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

"Here I come to save the day!" (Couldn't resist. )

Yeah, you really want to spent 100% of your time blogging -- not messing around with the hosting that's supposed to power your blog. So it's good to do some research, seek some quality advice, and make a wise selection.

No major traffic or heavy files means shared is a good place to start. And I'm assuming you have no custom/unusual needs that would require a VPS or dedicated.

Stablehost and EuroVPS are two excellent hosts, but their primary customer demographics are somewhat different. These days, I mostly use Stablehost for some persona/portfolio sites, as well as personal emails needs. And EuroVPS is where I do development on several VPS.
- Stablehost skews more personal/hobby, and EuroVPS skews more professional.
- Stablehost for small business, EuroVPS for medium/large.

Old-style SSL with dedicated IP will make no difference in 2017. Do you really need to design sites to meet the needs of IE6, Blackberry and Windows XP? (Rhetorical question! The answer is NO!) SNI works perfectly, and there's no need to waste money. In fact, I have no problems using the new free SSL certs from Let's Encrypt for non-business sites. I'm all for saving money when it's a wise choice.

SiteGround and InMotion are two more excellent choices. Again, they differ some, so the final decision will be different from person to another.

I don't have issues with North America (USA, Canada) vs. Europe at all, when it comes to hosting -- especially if you're not on either continent. In theory, Europe is a bit faster, but CloudFlare has negated that impact in recent years. So it's often not a consideration, and that's my position in your case.

The only major difference in USA vs. EU comes down to laws, and understandable grievances toward either entity. EuroVPS, for example, only chooses networks that are 100% USA-free. That's both political position (and I understand why) as well as one where they don't want to be beholden to foreign laws (example: FBI seizing servers, etc). Same for many UK hosts, and even USA hosts.

My advice:
- Stablehost was a good choice. I see no need to move.
- The extra IP is just extra $$ that you don't need to spend. If you can cancel it, consider it.
- Consider using CloudFlare to speed up your site to (I assume) local site visitors in Pakistan. Note that this negates the usefulness of the dedicated IP, hence my cancel suggestion.

And blog away!

Attached Images
File Type: png MightyMouse60px.png (7.1 KB, 17 downloads)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
The following users thank kpmedia for this useful post: Relja (09-02-2018)
02-13-2017, 07:36 AM
Free Member

kpmedia. I thank you for taking the time and replying me with an answer that is bang on the target. Thank you!

But again... I am coming! Watch out!

If you have to choose between one of them.... to host a blog that represents you GIVEN that you're a most followed writer from your country and when you'll share your blog url on social media. People will come to check it out regularly....

You will find paid content writing jobs offer from some one them and earn.

You hate this idea to move from one host to another and you just want to find the perfect nest to settle in and lay some eggs

Again I ask.

You yourself said, for professional stuff you use eurovps but for personal use stablehost.

If you honestly have to decide between the 2. Who is better?

Thanks kpmedia for standing up to my idiotic questions. I will buy that membership upgrade just to say Thanks. ( didn't check it out at first).

About cloudflare. do I have to buy cloudflare plus to use it on sites with SSL?
03-08-2017, 05:42 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

What I'd do has changed over the years...

If I were creating a new site, today, for personal use (ie, represents me), I'd use Stablehost. For years, that's been my go-to host for personal projects. Portfolios, resumes, small blogs, etc.

If the project ever became large/popular enough to necessitate it's own cPanel account (not sharing with others), I'd put it on my reseller at Namecheap or Veerotech. If I were getting a new reseller account, today, I'd heavily consider InMotion.

EuroVPS was my main go-to for business sites, until about 2011. They did nothing wrong, I simply branched out. That list has grown to include companies like LiquidWeb, Knownhost and WebhostingBuzz/Jolt. And since 2015, even Godaddy! (I know, hard to believe, but their pro/business plans, specifically managed VPS, are really good these days.)

That said, Stablehost is professional company. And it can be used for professional needs. It's just that I don't use it for that. Over the years, any concerns I had about their plans/network/whatever have been rendered moot by upgrades.

To use SSL with CloudFlare, you'll need to buy the monthly cert from them. It costs more, but it's worth it.

Indeed, upgrade to Premium Member. It'll bump your questions to the top of queues.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
The following users thank kpmedia for this useful post: Relja (09-02-2018)
Closed Thread

Tags
eurovps, shared hosting, stablehost