Go Back    Forum > Digital Publishing / Web Sites > Web Hosting

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-13-2010, 08:08 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

After setting up a new Windows 2008 IIS7 dedicated server with Plesk 9.x two months ago, I started to get daily emails from the machine. Sometimes the messages landed in my inbox, and sometimes they were diverted into a spam folder. It was a nuisance that I didn't have time to solve until this weekend.

Note that I've redacted identifiable information with repeating 'X' or 'x' when needed.

This is the email:
Quote:
Subject: The Plesk Scheduler notification

User: XXXXXXXX\Plesk Administrator
Running task: C:\Program Files\Parallels\Plesk\admin\bin\php.exe -q -dauto_prepend_file="" -c php.ini "C:\Program Files\Parallels\Plesk\admin\plib\DailyMaintainance \script.php"
Started: Sun Dec 12 01:20:00 2010
Ended successfully: Sun Dec 12 02:02:29 2010
What I didn't much care for was the fact that email generated by this server was going into the spam folder. Having emails sent to your ISP email or free email (Yahoo, Gmail, etc) go directly into the spam folder is not ideal. In fact, it's terrible.

A look at the header revealed that the message completely bypassed the server's designated MTA, instead going through a Windows service first on its trip through cyberspace:
Quote:
Received: from xxxxxxxxx ([127.0.0.1]) by xxx.com with MailEnable ESMTP; Sun, 12 Dec 2010 02:02:30 +0200
thread-index: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx==
Thread-Topic: The Plesk Scheduler notification
To: "Plesk Administrator" <xxx@xxx.com>
Subject: The Plesk Scheduler notification
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 02:02:29 +0200
Message-ID: <xxxxxxxx>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Mailer: Microsoft CDO for Windows 2000
Content-Class: urn:content-classes:message
Importance: normal
Priority: normal
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.0.6002.18263
So to stop this nonsense from going any further, I disabled the email notification. Although the Parallels forum has some instructions on how to do this, it appears to be outdated, written during the days of Plesk 7 or Plesk 8 server control panel, and it's not exactly the same.

In Plesk Panel 9, go to Home in the sidebar main menu and then go to the Scheduled Tasks under the Server section. An obvious setting will be on the next screen, and you can choose to "Do not send" any more notices. See the images below.

plesk-notifications1.gif

You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

... and that's it. No more nuisance emails. If this has helped you, login and hit the THANKS button.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
The following users thank kpmedia for this useful post: sudhakar (12-18-2011)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-18-2011, 08:48 PM
Free Member

As said, in plesk they have outdated drafts.

thanks and it worked for me, since i searched all around the plesk server for long.
12-19-2011, 07:29 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhakar View Post
As said, in plesk they have outdated drafts.
thanks and it worked for me, since i searched all around the plesk server for long.
Thanks for posting your feedback.

Sometimes I'll post quick tips like this, and after some time has passed with no replies, I wonder if anybody is actually reading them and finding the information helpful. Sure, I can read traffic stats and analytics, but that's nowhere near as satisfying as having a person actually make some comments. As long as I know folks like yourself are benefiting from this sort of information, I'll keep writing it.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.