Go Back    Forum > Digital Publishing / Web Sites > Web Hosting

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-03-2012, 10:36 PM
Free Member

Dear KPMedia,

You are doing a great job. My sincere thanks.

You are one of the people who saved me from taking up a junk host seeing top 10 review sites. Thanks.

I'm looking for a shared web hosting. I need to host 4 domains. Budget : 5 USD PM max.
All the 4 domains are NOT HIGH bandwidth consuming.
All I need is Google Apps for my Email.

All I'm looking for is a CHEAP and RELIABLE Web Host. Also relatively small company so that they can give good customer support.
If I'm signing, I will take for 2 years, as I cannot be trying and shifting every 3 months because of my business constraint.
Upon following up several threads in WHT and here,
I have narrowed down to CrocWeb, StableHost, SpeedySparrow and HawkHost.

From your reviews and reviews in progress guide, i see CrocWeb and SS as good for time being. But somehow I'm inclined towards Crocweb

I need your Ranking on the above four. I will just go with your ranking. As I couldn't get a consolidated review containing the four, I need your help.

Really looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks a ton.

This question was asked in a private message. Rather than hide our tech advice in private conversations, Site Staff will often answer PMs (from any site) here in the digitalFAQ.com forum, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-04-2012, 12:15 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Thanks very much for your feedback.

Those fakes sites are nothing but misery for folks that are unaware of their real intentions. Our list -- http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/web-...-best-web.html -- was created to actually help others, not use them for monetary gain. Because people like you have found it so useful, we'll be adding more and more hosting-related information to this site in 2012. Not just vetting more hosts, but guides on how to maintain sites and servers, as well as offering some unique low-cost services of our own to site owners.

Moving on to your question...

A $5 account would easily handle four low-traffic domains. And each of the hosts you're looking at -- CrocWeb, StableHost, SpeedySparrow and HawkHost -- would handle this task just fine. It would be hard to make a bad choice between these hosts.

I'd also use the phrase "low-cost" to describe these hosts -- not "cheap", as they have excellent/caring owners and support staff. This is important in the realm of hosting, because a lot of hosts don't seem to care about you, and their poor decisions (or inactions) can completely screw people over. As a recent hosting CEO told me in an interview: "As a human being, I don't think I have that right to affect others in such a manner" (Evolucix, paraphrased). Stable, Speedy, Croc and Hawk all have customer-focused attitudes and policies.

Now in terms of how I'd rank those four hosts:

1. StableHost -- the best of the four, no contest, not even close.
2. HawkHost
3. CrocWeb
4. SpeedySparrow

Stablehost: I've had Stablehost for more than two years now. I started as admin for a friend in late 2009 (technically it's his SH account), then added my own account in late 2010 for personal sites. Uptime** is virtually 100%, and tech support is helpful for both advanced users (like myself) and complete newbies (like my friend). I use their unmanaged MrNerd VPS servers, too.

Hawkhost: Everything worked, no issues, good support and uptime. I really don't have anything lengthy to say about them. It was used for a small event-based project for less than a year, with several months unused on the one-year prepay.

Crocweb: So far, everything has worked well, and Croc does well to communicate issues. I've mostly just done some dev work on their server, but hope to go live later this year with it. I plan to renew my account this summer with Croc. No issues with uptime, support, etc. Nothing lengthy to say here either.

SpeedySparrow: The only reason I put Speedy as 4th and not 2nd is because they're undergoing some temporary growing pains. Their systems are not 100% yet, but I have faith that they certainly will be later this spring or summer. The datacenter had chronic issues last fall, so they moved servers to another facility. Some of the cloud-based tech hasn't worked flawlessly during the winter, and they're getting it situated. I'm patient and understanding, and don't see this as an issue, especially since I'm just dev'ing sites there right now -- it's nothing mission-critical at this time. But if you need a site to work perfectly at 100% right now, it may not be the best option. In theory, they have a better hardware setup than the other three hosts, but making it work smoothly takes time. I communicate regularly with several hosts, and Sean of Speedy is one of them who I enjoy writing to/from.

Each of these hosts is a model citizen in the hosting industry.

Hope that helps.

I moved this post from PM, so that it may help others in the same scenario as yourself. If you have any other questions, feel free to post questions on the forum. I can assist with not just hosting decisions, but quite a few aspects on maintaining websites, design, SEO, which apps to use, etc. There's so many things that people overlook when trying to run an online business.

Kudos on not running to the first big "unlimited" host you saw -- your business will long-term be better off.

** Uptime note: Dev servers are monitored hourly, while production servers are monitored every 3/10/60 minutes (using 3 monitoring methods -- one local, one monitoring VPS, one third-party monitor server). So there may be small downtimes that are missed on devs. Stablehost is a live production account, HH is archived, and the other two are currently in dev use.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
03-04-2012, 03:46 PM
Free Member

A BIG Thanks to KPMedia and DigitalFAQ for this wonderful review.
Really feeling good to be a part of this forum.

And I understand for moving my PM to this forum. It would indeed help many newbies like me! Great!
BTW I'm more inclined towards CrocWeb at this point for one reason. More cost effective for a small start up like mine. Planning to give a try! But I would be closely following up the forum and your blog to read the reviews on StableHost and others. When my business grows, I would certainly look for a good change.

I shall definitely spread the word about DigitalFAQ forum and of course about you! .

I would need one last suggestion. How good is going for Google Apps ( Free edition) for the Email option with my Hosting?

Thanks once again!

Regards
P
03-04-2012, 05:14 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Don't forget about the Stablehost coupons: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/deal...pon-codes.html
US-WHT2012-25 gives you 25% OFF for life

But Crocweb does appear to have lower prices at the moment. (Not that I'd let price determine choice.) Crocweb has a 50% OFF one-time discount with coupon code halfcrocweb. Note that it's a ONE TIME discount, and you'll pay 100% of the price upon renewal next year.

Prepaying for one year, you're looking at $29.70 with Crocweb. With Stablehost, you're looking at $53.50 annually. Honestly, there's almost no difference in pricing -- less than $25/year difference. From a business perspective, that's a few pennies in reality. For hobby sites and personal blogs (anything non-business), the lower priced option is a bit of a no-brainer.

Pick the location that best suits you. Again, there are more things to consider than price.
- Crocweb servers are in Canada.
- Stablehost servers are in USA. (Non-discounted servers available in UK and Germany.)

Both are great hosts, I doubt you'll run into issue with either of them. Just be sure to pay attention to long-term costs

//

Google Apps is popular -- almost overly popular. While it does work, you're really at the mercy of Google for how you handle backups, spam, etc. If you use a cPanel based host, like Stablehost or Crocweb, you can grab your own local backups of data, and create some fairly advanced spam filters to block certain domains, subjects, or even based on links and words in the body of a message. You can also migrate between hosts and mail apps later, if you choose, with a cPanel based setup; it's not possible with GMail.

One of domains I have at Stablehost has probably 20 filters to block junk -- something that's simply not possible with the GMail hosted accounts, which I also use (as an editor of a site that uses it).

I use further filters in Outlook, too -- both native Outlook filters and SpamBayes (a bayesian filtering system).

The only benefit of GMail is that it already has an SSL certificate, for those phones that refuse to connect to non-SSL IMAP accounts, and then GMail automated backups are likely more frequent and reliable than a small host's backup system.

//

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
03-04-2012, 07:04 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Speaking of coupons:
- Hawkhost has a one-time 50% OFF discount (renewal is 100%, no discount) with coupon code whts50v2
- SoeedySparrow has a 10% OFF discount with coupon code WHTME10

Use these for annual plans.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
03-05-2012, 04:49 PM
Free Member

Hello KPMedia,

Many thanks for your insight. I sincerely appreciate your time to help me and others like me.
I shall definitely check on Stablehost again.

I was, till now, thinking that Google Apps was the best. Never knew about all these drawbacks.
I shall try to do more research on that and shall get back for your expert reviews. I certainly accept the SPAM filter problem with Gmail! Also I never knew that Google Apps Mail cannot be migrated between web hosts.
BTW you review is extensive and I really appreciate it. Thank you so much.

Now I will do a bit of research and get back to you. Noted the coupon codes for the hosts. Really appreciate it.

Thanks and Regards
P