Go Back    Forum > Digital Publishing / Web Sites > Web Hosting

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-18-2014, 08:42 PM
Free Member

I always utilize your help lol you're quite knowledgeable.I am debating between EuroVPS and Fresh Roasted Hosting.

I like the fact that DigitalFaq uses them and the site seems fast enough. As well as they seem to have good pre-sale experience. They are a little slow getting back to replies but i'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Fresh Roasted Hosting is not 100 percent comparable to them. I like the fact that I've spoken with Lisa(Who is quite active on WHT) and she seems quite knowledgeable and friendly. I thoroughly Enjoyed speaking with her. They are smaller company(I believe her and another guy plus a support team) but it definitely feels friendly and I perused their FB Pages and twitter and they are quite active and involved.

I knew your Opinions about EuroVPS and i am strongly considering them. However I greatly enjoyed my experience with Fresh Roasted Hosting.

What is your opinion about their pLans?
http://freshroastedhosting.com/virtual/

I am looking at their Light and Medium Roast Plans(And they offer a discount which is nice).

Do you know any info about them? Your opinions aside about EuroVPS(As they are not in the same category), if someone was interested would you recommend them to try out FRH?

My main Concern is Location...EuroVPS is in Amsterdam and FRH is in Pennsylvania somewhere.

We are in Texas with Knownhost Presently(60-70% of my users are in Eurrope, 20% in US/Canada, 5% in Australia/NZ and the others are scattered internationally or in the carribean).

As i said before they tested out Digital FAQ and found the site to be fast enough but of course your forum and mine won't be utilzing the same plans.

I do like the fact FRH seems to be more active in communities like WHT and have quite an active page that promote their company via FB/Twitter but Eurovps is nice and they host big sites and have experience...

About Future Hosting & Host Dime:

1. Future Hosting
I weeded out Future Hosting. I wasn't too fond of the pre-sale and having to re-ask questions i asked to get further clairification. Idk but i get an outsourced feel when dealing with FutureHosting.

2. Hostdime:
I also weeded out HostDime. I asked about SSD VPS and got conflicted answers. Manny says
"Correct we are using enterprise SAS15K drives for our VPS nodes. SAS15K is a more mature release of drives with performance of SSD's that we used for our nodes for a while now."

He goes on to tell me that if i go dedicated, I can use SSD However their sales department claims they do use SSD. Two reps told me this. It seems like there is no consistency so i am bypassing them.

This question was asked in a private message. Rather than hide our tech advice in private conversations, Site Staff will often answer PMs (from any site) here in the digitalFAQ.com forum, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-18-2014, 09:16 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulse View Post
60-70% of my users are in Eurrope, 20% in US/Canada, 5% in Australia/NZ and the others are scattered internationally or in the carribean
To be honest, this is all I need to know.

While Fresh Roast Hosting (FRH) is probably an okay host run by some nice people -- folks I've run into myself on both WHT and some other sites -- it's not the best fit for your needs.

The general rule is to host a site on the same continent as the majority of your traffic. (For example, The Digital FAQ is a truly worldwide site, with about the bulk of traffic coming from both North America and Europe. So we needed a location on the border of both -- either New York or Amsterdam/London.)

If the have 60-70% EU traffic, by all means, stay in the EU. If not EuroVPS, then a UK host like WebhostingBuzz. Some USA companies even have EU locations -- such as Stablehost in Amsterdam, or Veerotech in UK. Hosting in Dallas was a terrible idea, and even hosting in Philly many not be much better. At worst, you'd have New York (New Jersey) or Virginia, because at least those directly connect to Europe.

Quote:
I always utilize your help lol you're quite knowledgeable.
When you've been online 20+ years, making sites for most of them, you tend to learn a few things.

Quote:
They are a little slow getting back to replies but i'll give them the benefit of the doubt.
Ask yourself this: Would you rather they spend time talking to existing paying customers, or the pre-sales questions by non-customers. Or would who want a host that answers sales questions ASAP, and then is slow once you're a customer? Because, sadly, that's how most companies are -- treat new/potential customers great, and existing customers like poo. I'm constantly reminded of my cable/satellite TV company here!

Support ticket replies for customers are 15-30 minutes on average! (That's fast!)

Quote:
Fresh Roasted Hosting is not 100 percent comparable to them. I like the fact that I've spoken with Lisa(Who is quite active on WHT) and she seems quite knowledgeable and friendly. I thoroughly Enjoyed speaking with her. They are smaller company(I believe her and another guy plus a support team) but it definitely feels friendly and I perused their FB Pages and twitter and they are quite active and involved.
I agree -- they seem like great people. But for you, I don't think it's the best fit. If you ever have US-centrix projects, just keep them in mind for later.

Quote:
What is your opinion about their pLans? http://freshroastedhosting.com/virtual/
Looks fine to me.

Quote:
I am looking at their Light and Medium Roast Plans(And they offer a discount which is nice).
EuroVPS has discounted too, FYI. Ask for their current special.

Quote:
2. Hostdime:
I also weeded out HostDime. I asked about SSD VPS and got conflicted answers. Manny says
"Correct we are using enterprise SAS15K drives for our VPS nodes. SAS15K is a more mature release of drives with performance of SSD's that we used for our nodes for a while now."
He goes on to tell me that if i go dedicated, I can use SSD However their sales department claims they do use SSD. Two reps told me this. It seems like there is no consistency so i am bypassing them.
Yeah, as I said elsewhere, it's not a good host for reasons like this. Stuff doesn't work, and it often seems like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. I don't like that. This is how I am, hosting of not. I walked out of Lowe's last week, because we kept getting different stories. Screw 'em. We went to a different lumber yard where we got real answers. And they're likely be getting our business.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.