Go Back    Forum > Digital Publishing / Web Sites > Web Hosting

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-04-2020, 04:10 AM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

What type of hosting are you using free or paid?

If it's free then can you give me reasons why you chose paid services instead of using free?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-04-2020, 04:30 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Hosting requires trust.

Free hosts have no incentive to provide and perform what's needed to keep your site/app online, secure, etc. Free hosts also have a bad habit of suddenly changing rules, or outright disappearing. Many have even been bad actors, harvesting your data for their own gain (stealing passwords, databases, paid plugins/scripts, etc).

Paid hosting is generally better about all of this, though it's still imperative that you research the who the actual provider is. Trust is to be earned, not given. As an easy example, realize that Bluehost and Hostgator are the same host -- EIG is the actual entity (a terrible entity at that), and those brand names are hollow nothings, there are no "Bluehost" or "Hostgator" companies.

The only time I'd ever use free hosting is if I have an existing relationship with the server owner. For example, perhaps you have a friend who's a server admin, and he doesn't mind giving you free space on his extra box. Or a colleague at work. Or your boss gives you some free space on the company server. You can (hopefully) trust that person. These are not random nobodies with unknown motivse.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
Closed Thread