Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Videography: Cameras, TVs and Players

LinkBack Thread Tools
04-27-2007, 09:51 AM
Free Member

Ok within the last couple weeks I noticed something. I first popped in my Hellboy animated DVD and noticed some green lines lightly flicker during the movie, barely noticable. I shurugged it off. Then I popped in Everyone Loves Raymond and the same lines appeared on those discs.

I read on a couple sites that people are getting similar lines but on tv channels.

Has anyone here noticed anything like this??

Brent

Patience is a virtue, but when dealing with a Panasonic a sledge hammer would be so much faster.......
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-27-2007, 07:01 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Which DVD player or recorder? That can happen when decoder/encoder chipsets overheat.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
04-28-2007, 12:24 AM
Free Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lordsmurf

Which DVD player or recorder? That can happen when decoder/encoder chipsets overheat.
It's a Pioneer DVR-640H DVD Recorder. So do I just leave it powered down for a while??

Brent

Patience is a virtue, but when dealing with a Panasonic a sledge hammer would be so much faster.......
04-30-2007, 06:03 AM
Free Member

So LS how should I fix this. Is it a simple fix like say shut it off for X amount of time etc??

Brent

04-30-2007, 06:25 AM
Site Staff | Video

Maybe. Try it.

04-30-2007, 06:29 AM
Free Member

Quote:

Maybe. Try it.
Has this happened to you? If so what did you do?? The recorder has a fan, but one thing I have all of my units together stacked. But only the DVD recorder is plugged in, but they are ontop of my 50" tv would this cause any problems??

Just trying to see if there is anything else that can be causing this.

Brent

04-30-2007, 06:45 AM
Site Staff | Video

My JVC DR-M10 recorder oveheated the day Christopher Reeve died, back in October 2004. I ran the recorder for 32 hours non-stop, and it started to have a fit. I unplugged it for about 12 hours, as best I can recall.

My JVC DR-M100S had a fit one recent morning, because I had moved some things and forgot to put in the spacers that keep the devices apart to stay cool. It developed gray lines for hours until I noticed it, and turned it off (no unplugging). It was Saturday morning at 10:30 a.m. that it had the problem, I noticed the problem about 1:00 p.m., and I didn't use the recorder again until 6:00 p.m. Sunday. So it was not being used for about 29 hours.

My RCA DirecTV satellite receivers did this from time to time too, back in 2002-2003, and the fix was to unplug for at least 4 hours. It was usually in the summer, on the units that were inside of wooden entertainment centers.

I've seen DVRs, DVD player, capture cards, external capture boxes, cable boxes, and other DVD recorders do this too. Just not my equipment. Heat is the problem in most all cases.

All were fine later on.

04-30-2007, 06:52 AM
Free Member

Quote:

My JVC DR-M10 recorder oveheated the day Christopher Reeve died, back in October 2004. I ran the recorder for 32 hours non-stop, and it started to have a fit. I unplugged it for about 12 hours, as best I can recall.

My JVC DR-M100S had a fit one recent morning, because I had moved some things and forgot to put in the spacers that keep the devices apart to stay cool. It developed gray lines for hours until I noticed it, and turned it off (no unplugging). It was Saturday morning at 10:30 a.m. that it had the problem, I noticed the problem about 1:00 p.m., and I didn't use the recorder again until 6:00 p.m. Sunday. So it was not being used for about 29 hours.

My RCA DirecTV satellite receivers did this from time to time too, back in 2002-2003, and the fix was to unplug for at least 4 hours. It was usually in the summer, on the units that were inside of wooden entertainment centers.

I've seen DVRs, DVD player, capture cards, external capture boxes, cable boxes, and other DVD recorders do this too. Just not my equipment. Heat is the problem in most all cases.

All were fine later on.
Thanks for the info I think when I do the move to the new house I will just plug it back in and not turn it on as we are moving on the 17th/18th and I have Dish set to come out on Sunday the 20th. I will have everything packed on the day/night of the 17th so I think that will be enough time for a cool down

But if I can swing it before then that would be even better

Brent