02-17-2020, 08:31 AM
Free Member

I'm guessing the answer is no, but I found a Panasonic NV-GS11 Mini DV camera for sale and the manual and box doesn't mention anything about iLink, IEEE-1394 or Firewire.

It does have a Firewire port, but it also has a USB 2.0 port, and on the page on copying footage to a PC, the manual seems to say that you can use the USB port: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/30...page=43#manual
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-17-2020, 10:37 AM
Free Member

What part of the manual it says importing footage with USB? I only read about still pictures importing or as a webcam not importing footage.
02-17-2020, 11:57 AM
Premium Member

I have no idea about what works on your Panasonic camera. However, there are 3 Canon models that can transfer DV video (exact same 720x480 file format as via Firewire).

Those models are the Optura 60, Optura 500 and Optura 600.
I have an Optura 600 with a broken Firewire port and I have just used Canon's "USB Video Driver" to do some test transfers to a WinXP capture PC I've built. So it can be done. The driver creates a Directshow device that is accessible via both Windows Media Maker and VirtualDub (and I assume others). The ability to use vDub for the transfers might be useful to those who regularly use it for capture, just because it's a familiar interface, etc. However, there are essentially no "knobs or dials" available to adjust what is "captured". You get what you get: the straight DV avi file. You can also control the transport, but it's clunky and slow vs other Firewire transfer software I've used. WinDV cannot control transport as far as I can tell. Movie Maker may provide better transport control but it's file management functionality seems pretty bad to me.

That's the good news. The bad news is that the USB driver is for WinXP and earlier and won't load on my newer 64 bit OS's. Maybe it could be coaxed into doing so but I have neither the expertise nor a real need to mess with it. Since I/you can use Firewire in Win 10, etc., there's not much point to this functionality unless you have a broken camcorder (otherwise "near mint" ) like mine.

From my 600 manual:

You can transfer video recordings to the computer using a USB cable or an IEEE1394
(DV) cable. Before transferring video recordings from the tape to the computer, make
sure to prepare the following:

To connect with the USB cable

A computer running Windows XP (Service Pack 1 or Service Pack 2) equipped with a
USB2.0 (Hi-Speed) Terminal

A USB cable (supplied)

Canon USB Video Driver (the driver is included with the supplied DIGITAL VIDEO
SOLUTION DISK)

Windows Movie Maker 2 (Version 2.0.3312.0 with SP1, 2.1.4026.0 with SP2)

BW
02-19-2020, 03:02 PM
Free Member

The manual indictes you can transfer standard def DV video via its firewire port. If you check the specs on page 60 you will see mention of IEEE1394

The SD card appears to be for stills, 720x480 JPG, transferred via USB.

The WEB cam video function is lower resolution (320x240) and in MJPEG format. The USB port is speced at 12Mbps max, less than half the 25 Mbps data rate of DV.

The manual appears to cover two models, and they do not support the same features. IF buying, be sure it supports what you want.
The following users thank dpalomaki for this useful post: cal3b (02-20-2020)
02-20-2020, 12:22 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BW37 View Post
I have no idea about what works on your Panasonic camera. However, there are 3 Canon models that can transfer DV video (exact same 720x480 file format as via Firewire).

Those models are the Optura 60, Optura 500 and Optura 600.
I have an Optura 600 with a broken Firewire port and I have just used Canon's "USB Video Driver" to do some test transfers to a WinXP capture PC I've built. So it can be done. The driver creates a Directshow device that is accessible via both Windows Media Maker and VirtualDub (and I assume others). The ability to use vDub for the transfers might be useful to those who regularly use it for capture, just because it's a familiar interface, etc. However, there are essentially no "knobs or dials" available to adjust what is "captured". You get what you get: the straight DV avi file. You can also control the transport, but it's clunky and slow vs other Firewire transfer software I've used. WinDV cannot control transport as far as I can tell. Movie Maker may provide better transport control but it's file management functionality seems pretty bad to me.

That's the good news. The bad news is that the USB driver is for WinXP and earlier and won't load on my newer 64 bit OS's. Maybe it could be coaxed into doing so but I have neither the expertise nor a real need to mess with it. Since I/you can use Firewire in Win 10, etc., there's not much point to this functionality unless you have a broken camcorder (otherwise "near mint" ) like mine.

From my 600 manual:

You can transfer video recordings to the computer using a USB cable or an IEEE1394
(DV) cable. Before transferring video recordings from the tape to the computer, make
sure to prepare the following:

To connect with the USB cable

A computer running Windows XP (Service Pack 1 or Service Pack 2) equipped with a
USB2.0 (Hi-Speed) Terminal

A USB cable (supplied)

Canon USB Video Driver (the driver is included with the supplied DIGITAL VIDEO
SOLUTION DISK)

Windows Movie Maker 2 (Version 2.0.3312.0 with SP1, 2.1.4026.0 with SP2)

BW

Thanks for the very detailed answer. I'm kind of surprised that cameras like this even exist, but from what you're saying it seems like they come with their own compatibility issues anyway, so I'm just going to continue looking for a plain old firewire camera!

Tags
firewire, minidv, usb