10-01-2007, 05:23 PM
Premium Member

I have a large collection of homemade DVDs (352X480 MPG-2, from satellite and VHS/Beta tapes). I would like to upconvert them from Standard Definition DVD to 720p or 1080i, which is what my Samsung LTN325W 32" LCD TV will display. The TV has a DVI input, but no HDMI. I bought a Pioneer DV-400-VK DVD player (HDMI output only) and HDMI to DVI cable. It would display 480p on the Samsung, but when set to 720p or 1080i, the TV screen went totally blank. In fact, I had to use an S-video connector, from DVD to TV, just to get back to the Pioneer's menu (their default reset instruction didn't work, at least for me). Interestingly, even though the TV didn't display an image, it DID show either "720p" or "1080i," on the DVI input screen, so it "knew" it was trying to receive those signals. I'm wondering if the fact that my homemade DVDs aren't encrypted with HDCP High-Bandwidth Digital Copy Protection is preventing the DVD player from transmitting their images to the TV. I tried one commercial disc (a promo for Discovery Channel nature series), and it didn't work either, but maybe it wasn't encrypted, either. I would love to see my cartoon collection in upconverted form. Does anyone have equipment to upconvert their self-made videos? I saw a Samsung DVD player, with DVI output, that I thought might work, but haven't bought it yet. Thanks very much! Russell / KCTexan
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors