Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Videography: Cameras, TVs and Players

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-22-2021, 05:37 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
I forgot about "Maggotbox".

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: BarryTheCrab (02-22-2021)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-22-2021, 06:40 PM
Free Member

“Maggotbox”, I read that in a bar, in a corner with my beer and people were watching me laugh!
The following users thank BarryTheCrab for this useful post: admin (02-12-2023)
02-25-2021, 07:55 PM
Free Member

The funny thing is their advertisement is right here within this forum, I'm pretty sure digitalfaq has no control over it but thanks to google ads.
Ad full link:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2021-02-25 174623.jpg (45.5 KB, 13 downloads)
02-25-2021, 08:25 PM
Site Staff | Video

Not anymore -- they're now blocked.
We may entirely dump Google Ads in the near future, too much garbage.

03-01-2021, 06:22 PM
Free Member

I found this thread because of RADVCR...I thought 200 was an awesome price, I'd like to convert family videos to DVD and share online. I liked that it made everything easier. I saw the ad on facebook and ordered after doing some research and not finding any local resources....(maybe the Grafton flea market in the Spring/Summer). I ordered online and RED FLAGS started...EIGHT WEEK DELAY...and there was no way to pay online other than a third party service that splits into 4 payments...OR they would send a link in email to pay by some other way....that email came and jut linked back to the website....useless...their chat support promises to be human...but isn't....gave me 20 dollar discount .....always the same code (VCR20)....email support was not helpful, weeks later (today) I noticed email from them in my (comcast) SPAM folder but I had already hit erase all....I searched and found you guys.....so RAD is probably a scam....? I never gave them billing information, just name and address. So....what used model should I buy off of ebay?
03-01-2021, 06:27 PM
Site Staff | Video

eBay is more often a VCR dumping ground, not too different from Goodwill, not an electronics store (neither high-end or low-end). It's truly a flea market, with lots of recyclers pawning off problem decks (including "tested" and "working" nonsense, aka they saw lights when plugged in, or it played any random tape in any crummy quality).

Back up, and let's start the advice the right way...

How many tapes?
What recording mode are your VHS tapes?
- SP, LP, EP/SLP, or a mix? If mix, % of each?
- If not known, guestimate. (What you don't want to do is put these tapes in a ratty old VCR, and have the tapes get damaged.)

03-01-2021, 06:41 PM
Free Member

Thanks, yes I saw your comment to the original poster. I have a working VHS deck, I'll probably repurchase a digitial adapter and copy to my computer. BUT if I find a decent model dual deck that would make my life easier.

I have a handful of tapes that care about. I think the top for the good stuff...but I also remember being a poor college student and recording slower tapes to fit more....
03-14-2021, 05:53 PM
Free Member

Just wanted to say that I've started getting targeted ads for these on Google/Facebook as well so I imagine that people who don't know better will be throwing some money their way. It will be interesting to see if reviews for these things pop up on YouTube and the like as far as just verifying that the product made its way into the actual hands of someone.