05-25-2021, 12:10 PM
Free Member

I have a JVC - P91K VIDEO CASSETTE PLAYER/RECORDER, Model number is - HR-P91K. The unit handles - PAL, MESCAM, and NTSC. My PAL tapes were recorded in Australia from local Australian TV. My problem is that when playing back a PAL tape to NTSC I get a sound problem that overrides the original soundtrack making the tape unwatchable. It does not affect NTSC tapes. With cover off and touching the ribbon cable connected to the video head, and playing a PAL tape the annoying sound goes away, but so does the original sound track. The picture is not a problem. When I have tried other PAL tapes, the problem still exists. I should add that these PAL tapes from Australia come from different locations.

I have used this unit for a number of years and have had no problem in converting the tapes. The problem has just now been discovered when I received a new PAL tape and tried to convert it. The player has NOT been used for over two years, and I suspect that some technical problem has appeared.

A check with local - Fort Worth USA - repair shops cannot help, either because they do not have a SERVICE MANUAL or have never worked on a PAL/NTSC VHS machine.

Question - can this unit be repaired? - or - is it scrap? I await your answers and/or suggestions.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-25-2021, 03:49 PM
Free Member

We don't know what the problem is, can you post audio samples of what you have been doing?
05-27-2021, 09:53 AM
Free Member

Hi, I would if I knew how. I am not computer literate. I will do so if someone will tell me how to proceed.

-- merged --

Hi - can someone please answer my last message. I thank you.
06-08-2021, 10:23 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanirdjeff1937 View Post
Hi - can someone please answer my last message. I thank you.
You said you were converting them to digital? You can take a small capture and upload a video here if its not over 99mb. To upload a video click the paperclip by the smiley face above your message when you are typing.
06-08-2021, 10:35 AM
Free Member

Hi, The problem is with the SOUND, not the video. When playing a PAL VHS TAPE, and connected to a NTSC MONITOR/TV, there is a "noise" problem. (Ido not have a PAL TV). Which makes the tape unwatchable. Please re-read my first post where I better explain the problem. Again, it is a SOUND problem and not a video problem.
06-08-2021, 10:39 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanirdjeff1937 View Post
Hi, The problem is with the SOUND, not the video. When playing a PAL VHS TAPE, and connected to a NTSC MONITOR/TV, there is a "noise" problem. (Ido not have a PAL TV). Which makes the tape unwatchable. Please re-read my first post where I better explain the problem. Again, it is a SOUND problem and not a video problem.
Yea but the video should have sound in it. Right? I dont want to get you confused taking about how you can record the sound only so why not just do it the way you have been doing it before.

Tags
iii