05-20-2021, 03:57 PM
Free Member

I am trying to decide on which 4K monitor to purchase. My requirements are 4k or 4K UHD, 120 refresh rate, and IPS. I have an RTX 3080. I edit some videos and want good color replication but that is not my profession so it does not have to be perfect. I want the ability to play games as well since it has been many years since I have done so. I narrowed it down to the two monitors below. I am thinking that the cheaper one is perfectly fine for my needs. Any thoughts? Thank you.

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-XB273K-G...dp/B07X5MWMDG/

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/conten...es/conceptdcp3
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-26-2021, 05:46 PM
Free Member

Hey, I faced this dilemma back in November myself. After weeks of researching just about every aspect of a monitor, I settled on the LG 27GN950-B. If I were you what I would do is first make a list of the requirements you would like. So 4k, at least 120Hz and IPS is a good start. Add to that the size range you'll accept, the price, G-Sync/FreeSync, colour gamut and the Grey to Grey time. Once you have your wish list, to save yourself the time of going website to website of all the manufacturers checking all the specs, you can use the most restrictive requirement to create a short list. In this case that would be the G-Sync/FreeSync requirement. G-Sync is a feature of a monitor that enables the monitor to match its frequncy (Hz) to your game's framerate (fps). This is great cause it means you no longer need to use the in game V-Sync option to stop screen tearing. (Which means your fps doesn't have to be limited anymore, it can be whatever the graphics card is capable of putting out and the screen will match it). You have said that you have a 3080 (Same as me!) so you want a monitor that NVidia have certified as at least G-Sync compatible. You can research this further yourself if you like but those are the basics. Suffice to say that you want a monitor that either has G-Sync/G-Sync ultimate or is G-Sync compatible.

Nvidia lists every monitor in the world that they have certified as being G-Sync compatible on their website here: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce...onitors/specs/. So your future monitor should be on that list. Now go down the list one by one checking each one against your other requirements. And every time that there's a monitor that matches everything you want write it down. Once you have a short list simply choose your favourite.

Personally, my requirements were 4k, 120Hz, IPS, G-Sync compatible and no bigger than 27". For me the only 2 choices pretty much were an ASUS one that was older and a lot more expensive or the LG 27GN950-B which I bought and can recommend. If you do end up buying this monitor, the only flaws with it that I found were that it doesn't have an HDMI 2.1 which means that although you can do 4k 144Hz on PC you're limited to something like 4K 60fps which is unfortunate if you have a new console. The second minor flaw is that I don't really like the stand. It's made of plastic and doesn't look very good to me. But if you use a mounting arm anyway on your desk then you won't be using it anyway so no worries. Hope all this helps.
The following users thank ItIsAScience for this useful post: Winsordawson (05-26-2021)
05-26-2021, 06:16 PM
Free Member

Thanks for the detailed advice! The issue is that very few monitors have all the requirements I listed that you know. I looked at the LG 27GN950-B and was going to buy it but the reviews seem to indicate that the build quality is not that good or at least spotty. The other issue was the fan noise, although some reviews say this is not a big deal.

Also, I read that for a powerful graphics card like the 3080 that a g-sync or g-sync ultimate monitor as not needed as much and that a g-sync compatible should be fine. How has the experience been for you?
05-26-2021, 06:39 PM
Free Member

I don't hear the fan ever so for me that's a non issue. The G-Sync compatible has worked fine for me too. My monitor has held up really well and hasn't fallen to pieces or anything but I agree that when you're spending £750 on a monitor, it's a little annoying to have all that great tech surrounded by a plastic cheaper feeling shell. Something some ppl complain about with this monitor is bad quality control for IPS glow. To be honest, I've yet to see an IPS monitor that doesn't suffer from it. I think it's a slight downside to the technology in general. I only ever notice it when the screen goes black during loading screens and the mouse pointer lights up regions of the screen emanating from the edges as I move it around.

Last edited by ItIsAScience; 05-26-2021 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Spelling
05-27-2021, 10:06 PM
Free Member

Thanks again. I bought the Acer Predator listed in the first post because of the poor quality of the stand you mentioned and some of the reviews I read. The Predator has a pretty durable stand but all of the ports are inside the front of the monitor which can be a bit PITA. Luckily one does not need to connect devices that often. I read some people complain about what you mentioned, namely the backlight glow when the screen is black. I can see that on the corners of my monitor when looking at pitch black wallpaper (to detect dead pixels). I read that turning the brightness down will help reduce it. My guess is that all IPS monitors have this, so there is no reason to worry about it?

Tags
4k monitor, ips, refresh rate