08-10-2021, 06:00 PM
Free Member

Hello!

My mom still use a vcr for watching her old movies and recording tv. Her S-VHS Vcr just broke down and she wants me to bought her a GOOD one as she said.

I am not really good with VCR as i was a little too young to really understand the format. But I have heard good things about the mitshubishi decks.

I came across two at a little shop close to her house, so i am asking you wich one should i go for?
She wants the best (for a VCR) i know, i know.

The Panasonic PV-VS4820 or Mitsubishi HS-U776.

Thanks a lot for you help.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-14-2021, 07:31 AM
Free Member

Used VCRs vary widely in condition and there is no good way to predict their condition short of actual close examination of the insides and then, if it looks OK, trying playback several different tapes. Consumer gear will have been subject to the uses and abuses of the previous owners, and repair is generally difficult to find at best. Professional/industrial models may have been beat to death in a work environment before unloading to the used market. Check the list of suggested models elsewhere on this site.

New unused are rare and still subject to aging and deterioration of rubber and plastic parts.

To get an idea of the potential for the gear when new search for equipment reviews in back issues of magazines. If you cannot find any for the models involved they probably would not have been very favorable - magazines do not publish reviews that might offend an advertiser.

In the shop if they will let you:
- examine it carefully of external evidence of damage and abuse.
- open the case if you can and look for obvious signs of problems, broken or limp belts, excessive dirt, mold, etc.
- if you cannot open it, at least use a penlight to see what you can in the loading slot and any other openings.
- check proper operation with some "expendable" tapes. Test all modes REW, FWD, play, pause, etc.
- Test playback using a TV set. Look for a satisfactory image with several tapes of the types your mom has, both home video, time shifts, and prerecorded commercial tapes.
-Check to be sure you get the remote control and that it is clean, no battery leakage in it, and works with the VCR.

And be sure to check on returns in case you get one home and find out it is not satisfactory.