01-02-2022, 05:00 PM
Free Member

I am trying to record video from a laptop with an HDMI output to a Phillips DVR3575H recorder with an HDD. The Phillips recorder has input for S-Video, RCA Composite, or DV. Is there a device that can do any of the following:
HDMI to DV - this is the preferred method since I assume it will have the best quality.
DVI or VGA to DV - since you can convert HDMI to DVI or HDMI to VGA with a simple adapter
HDMI to S-Video
HDMI to RCA Composite

I also have a GeForce BFGR94512GTE card that is supposed to have an S-Video output that I could use in another computer but the output jack on the card does not look like an S-Video output. It has too many pins and the wrong pattern as follows. It is labeled TV-Out but I have no idea what kind of plug to use:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg BFGR94512GTE_output.jpg (11.3 KB, 6 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-02-2022, 06:55 PM
Free Member

I think the best way is to take the video file in your computer and author it to a DVD format using a computer software and burn to DVD video using the computer's DVD burner bypassing analog and DV all together. But if you must go the hard and wrong way you will be better off using S-Video input, DV and mpeg2 don't get along too well. Both hardware methodes will give a very poor video quality compared to a software method.

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos
01-02-2022, 08:27 PM
Free Member

Hey, thanks for the update. I do have a Hauppage PVR2 that allows me to record to a computer from the laptop; I was just looking for a temporary solution for those times when I really don't plan to keep the video and just send the signal directly to the DVR. I have a card that gives an S-Video output that could go directly into the DVR so I may try to set up a second computer to feed the DVR. I was surprised that there wasn't more on this since most converters are converting analog video TO HDMI, not from.
01-02-2022, 09:25 PM
Free Member

You can get cheap HDMI->Composite dongles on ebay, aliexpress etc, no idea about the quality of them though.

The graphics card probably originally had a breakout dongle of some sort with s-video, composite etc that connects to that port.

My Video gear overview/test/repair/stuff yt channel http://youtu.be/cEyfegqQ9TU
01-02-2022, 10:10 PM
Free Member

Hodgey,

Thanks, and I did find the dongle in a batch of cables I had so I may be able to port video from the computer directly to the DVR. Not the best quality but all I need for a temporary solution.
01-03-2022, 12:18 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgey View Post
You can get cheap HDMI->Composite dongles on ebay, aliexpress etc, no idea about the quality of them though.
I have multiple HDMI<>composite adapters, for research. Those suck in every way you can think of. All color values, aspect ratio, interlaced, etc -- all screwed. "It's a picture" is really all you can say. Not a good one, and not accurate to the source whatsoever. But it you just want a silly little Youtube clip to watch on a phone, then sure, go for it.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
01-03-2022, 01:47 PM
Free Member

If the reason behind moving that file from computer to a DVR just to watch it on TV there are cheap alternatives, like getting a mini media player that you can attach a hard drive to it internally and then all what you have to do is connect the box to the computer to drag and drop the file in a matter of seconds or minutes vs capturing in real time. and then take the box to the TV and hook it up to the analog input of your TV or even a VGA monitor and watch your video, I even have one listed right now, You would need an IDE hard drive which are very cheap to get.

I actually bought this for the exact same purpose you are seeking back in 2005, My wife use to run a dry clean business and day care for our son in the back room, So she would rent DVD's for him to watch on a small CRT TV, So I cam up with this idea of transferring kids materials to a media player at home and just take it with her to work to connect to the TV and have the kid busy for the 2 hours he stays there. Right when I bought it my work schedule has changed the same week and took care of the kid myself at home and never got to use the thing.

Last edited by latreche34; 01-03-2022 at 02:01 PM.
01-03-2022, 08:13 PM
Free Member

I guess I am missing something here. I do not quite understand what you are trying to record from the laptop. Is it:
- games while they are being played
- streamed video for the web
- software demonstrations
- files being played on the laptop
- or something else

What is the laptop screen resolution?

What is the ultimate goal? to produce DVDs, or BluRays of the material, or other distribution format?
01-04-2022, 04:04 PM
Free Member

Actually, I just wanted to be able to record streaming content from USTV to my DVR recorder for later viewing but the only output from my laptop is HDMI. Nothing special and no permanent copies wanted. My Hauppauge convertor will convert the HDMI to a USB input to record on a second computer but I didn't really want to clutter up the drive.
01-04-2022, 09:24 PM
Free Member

HDMI to composite video converters are listed on Amazon starting at around $11 plus tax and shipping. Reviews tied to the listing are mixed with most (~80%) generally favorable. But that does not mean it will meet your expectations or needs. Further, many reviewers appear to be confusing HDMI-to-CVBS and CVBS-to-HDMI conversion. Most are just trying to extend the usable life to an old pre-digital era TV set.

In any case the composite (CVBS) signal output is at best SD (e.g., 720x480 for NTSC) and will involve down scaling the image from any just about current laptop PC. At a $11 price point the downscaling may not be very good, although it may meet you expectations. Not clear how it deals with content protection that might be present in the HDMI signal.

And on the plus side, $12 or so is not a lot of money to risk.
01-05-2022, 01:20 AM
Free Member

But why would he go to the trouble of re-recording the streamed contents in real time when he can just set an external USB media player as the default directory drive for the streaming app and then just unplug the external media player and hook it up to the TV later on using the A/V cable supplied like the one I linked above. This seem to be the easiest and no time or power wasted at all.

01-10-2022, 02:43 PM
Free Member

This intrigued me so I spent $12 on a "MINI HDMI2AV" converter from Amazon. It accepts HDMI input at most common resolutions, supports NTSC and PAL, and provide CBVS (i.e., composite video) and stereo audio output. It is USB terminal powered.

In quick tests with NTSC material:

Fed a 1080P input signal from the HDMI output of a table PIOS set top box (FIOS STB). Tried several channels including HD and SD channels.

Observed converter CVBS output directly to a JVC SD monitor and as pass-through output from a Toshiba DVD recorder to a Hitachi HD TV set
Recorded CVBS output to a DVD using the Toshiba DVD recorder

Fed the HDMI output from a HP laptop (1920x1080), including Win 7 desktop and streamed video from Amazon.
Observed CVBS and audio outout on a JVC SD monitor

Summary: It works; it down scaled the 1080P inputs to SD providing a watchable image.
Resolution/detail loss is consistent with SD image and color was reasonably accurate.
It would be would be acceptable to most home viewers.
The recorded DVD plays OK.

The 16x9 1080P signal square pixel was converted to a 480 line anamorphic image so display on a 4x3 monitor looks compressed from the sides.

When powered and no HDMI video input it output full screen color bars with a "no signal" message. (I did not assess the accuracy of the bars nor feed bars through it to assess accuracy of conversion levels)

This is not a tool for serous standards conversion/transcoding work but it provides a quick and economical way to convert HDMI to a CVBS signal usable on legacy SD TVs. Not bad for $12.

As to why not have the streaming app just save the file to local storage? some streamed media cannot be readily saved to a local file.
01-10-2022, 05:38 PM
Free Member

No, not a local file, A local directory on the hard drive. As far as I know any PC DVR app can be assigned a directory on a hard drive for saving video recordings, So when recordings are made on the external hard drive and after taking the box to the TV it switches from a storage device to a media player and plays back whatever in its library, I'm familiar with this and I've done it with a lot of media boxes from the very expensive ones such as TVIX to the $10 aliexpress ones. All what he needs is a spare hard drive that is not used.

At the end it's up to the OP to do whatever he feels comfortable with, I just don't think that recording a show twice just to watch it once is a viable solution, not to mention the loss of the original quality.