03-07-2008, 08:51 AM
Free Member

I am trying to record certain things off of my sat dvr. but some programs are telling me Unable to record because its copy protected. so my Philips recorder cant record these certain programs. I know a TBC for doing vhs but i need something for recording from sat including widescreen HD content. i just want it to passthrough letting me record the copy write material or clean it up but i dont want to lose any quality. My connections need to be S-Video for the Video and Red/White cables for the audio.

What do i use for this??
TBC? video stabilizer?

if a stabilizer which is better

http://home.cfl.rr.com/filter/

or

http://www.xdimax.com/grex/grex.html

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-07-2008, 06:08 PM
Free Member

I d say TBC should do the trick. But what do I know lol

I Told you to buy a tivo instead lol I have an RCA recorder CT2 Govideo removes all marcovision so far. As far your Sat. DVR I dont know. Never tried it. You could hook one up in between as filter see what happens. My uncle records from Dishnetwork no problems. His reciever is special though

If it dont work. You could always send it back?

I think tomnjonna had similar problems. Not sure what he did to work around it...
Maybe he might have some idears for ya
03-07-2008, 06:48 PM
Free Member

how many times i have to say this about tivo? tivo dont work for all the HD channels i get from DirecTV. Tivo is the old old machine for HD on DirecTV. dang Granny i have to repeat it 10 times before you listen. THERE IS NO TIVO RIGHT NOW THAT HAS ALL THESE HD CHANNELS. (You work for Tivo?) sound like the people that did credit card fraud on me that i called 2 days ago and they tryed to sell me service after i just told them they been stealing money from me for the past year. Thats TLG Great Fun
http://www.ripoffreport.com/searchre...&Search=Search

Anyways
I just want to spend 300$ or less to get something good to bypass the stupid copy protection. I love my HR21 DirecTV DVR and i love my Phillips DVD Recorder. I can record True anamorphic ws with this recorder. The only thing i would rather have is a True HD DVD recorder so i can get 100% quality.

This is what the problem is right now. Some movies/shows have a red flag on them. The content has three modes: “Copy once”, “Copy free” and “Copy never”. In “Copy once” mode a program can be stored on a hard disc recorder, but cannot be copied, only moved to another copy-protected media - and this move operation marks content “Copy one generation”, which permanently prevents further copying. “Copy never” programming may only be timeshifted and cannot be permanently stored.

Im thinking a stabilizer would be best cause i could record sd and hd through it. but a tbc i could switch when im using a vcr to dvd. but if the tbc doesnt allow HD content then its worthless to me.
03-07-2008, 11:35 PM
Free Member

You may want to wait a month or so. Hauppauge is coming out with (suppose to be in April), a new HD PVR. Its going to use the component interface to do the recordings, so they'll be no copy inhibit. They say they've tested it up to 1080i and it looks awesome!

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/s...38&newsLang=en

03-08-2008, 12:50 AM
Free Member

If I may, what shows do you need to get off the DVR, I may be able to get them to you.
03-08-2008, 01:07 AM
Free Member

well most i can get. it was just 2 movies so far i couldnt get off of encore. its just my dvr is so full i need to move things off them farly quickly and i dont want to run into this problem again. i heard that hbo and a few others had the same issues as well when recording but i havnt tryed to transfer anything from dvd yet from any movie channels yet.

so Video Stablizer? TBC?

03-08-2008, 01:21 AM
Free Member

Kinda sounds like you might have 5c encrypted content, if it is I've heard only firewire out would strip the 5c since it caused compatibility problems with TV sets, but I read that over a year ago and not always the rule.
03-08-2008, 01:33 AM
Free Member

well i can record to my dvr its just i couldnt record this old 80s movie from encore from my dvr to my DVD REcorder.

my dvd recorder gave me the Recorder Error cannot record in +VR Mode. E45. then i looked up E45 in my manual and it said that its because its copy protected material. So i just need something to by pass it.

i got no issues with my tv. its just dvr to dvd recorder cause the recorder refuses to record it.

i think one of these will work but i dunno which is better.

http://home.cfl.rr.com/filter/

or

http://www.xdimax.com/grex/grex.html

03-08-2008, 01:51 AM
Free Member

What satellite system do you have, Dish or DirecTV?
03-08-2008, 01:59 AM
Free Member

This forum says a front panel reset fixed the problem:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-...rotection.html

Not sure what that is as I don't have sat, what movies are they, are they not available on DVD or do you just want to cap them?
03-08-2008, 02:30 AM
Free Member

uhm i think it was called Driving Academy aka Crash Course. its not on dvd or vhs. I was trying to put it on dvd for myself but my recorder denied it.
only thing so far i have been denied for so far. I just want to be prepared next time it happpens. dang i hope it airs again so i can try the reset thing. i just deleted it to make room for all the tv shows im recording to my dvr.
If that works that would be perfect. saves me a bunch of money .

Thanks for the info on that. i just need to find something that blocks me again and try the reseting switch.

03-12-2008, 06:20 AM
Free Member

I think a tbc should strip out the copy protection Kon. I would try it.
03-12-2008, 07:37 PM
Free Member

i havnt ran into the problem again yet. thank god. cause im trying to get everything off my dvr as fast as i can.

03-13-2008, 12:08 AM
Free Member

I also heard of this happening with a local channel like Fox or something, where a bad transmitter or encoder was sending out an error that everything was picked up as a copy once flag. The whole TiVo forum was up in arms, it was a Simpsons episode if I remember correctly, and just a regular broadcast, not even a special. Anyway they fixed the problem but it just goes to show that live the whole VHS macrovision, using errors as a way to introduce copy protection can have undesired consequences later on.
03-13-2008, 01:15 AM
Free Member

ya i think it was that i needed to do a reset to my directv box. do you still have it? cause i deleted it

03-14-2008, 01:01 PM
Free Member

Konfusion - I know you went a different route, but ease up on CP. I think after reading some posts of yours in another thread and your comments here that the two of you might be talking about two different things. Cp is refering to an honest to goodness Tivo HD - made by Tivo. I think what you are refering to with the limitations is a Directv dvr with Tivo service, which is not made by Tivo and does not have all of the same capabilities of the true Tivo unit.

A true Tivo HD unit will record anything and everything in HD or standard resolution, transfer to the computer, and with editing software make great dvd's.

03-14-2008, 03:46 PM
Free Member

there is only one Tivo with HD capabilities that works with Direct, the HR10-250. This model is old and not available from Direct anymore. It only works with the old satellites that are mpeg2. All the new HD channels from Direct are on new satellites that are mpeg4. This means you can't get them on the 250.
03-15-2008, 12:05 AM
Free Member

You're right - my bad. The boxes made by Tivo don't work with satellite feeds. I wasn't aware of that until just now. And the one made by Directv that offers the service has some serious limitations. I hope Tivo comes up with a new box by the time I upgrade. I'm just going to tuck my tail between my legs and go sit quietly now.
03-17-2008, 03:23 PM
Free Member

ya i know i would have got tivo if that was the case. i want it trust me lol. just i cant have it untill something new is released. one thing i miss about cable is the on demand. the on demand for directv sucks.