02-25-2010, 08:57 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber-junkie
Can the JVC's be hacked to remove the macrovision or are only the liteon/clones capable of that and if so whay did you rank the JVC's first choice and liteons third?
No hacks for JVC. The JVC quality is better than LiteOn. JVC uses true VBR, LiteOn use CVBR (constrained VBR).

Quote:
Is a JVC with no remote a good buy?
For the JVC units, everything is on the remote. Without a remote, it barely functions as a DVD player.

Quote:
is the Liteon LVW-5116GHC any good for this?
Maybe. It's a model that came out after I quit paying attention to LiteOn units. Near the end, LiteOn released a lot of various models, with many of them being tied to a specific store. The supplies were limited, and it became a chore to keep up with them all.

Quote:
where do you find the tech. info you need to determine if it's good for transfer? Maybe I could do my own research,
The information you seek has largely disappeared -- a weakness of the Internet age. Much of our information on DVD recorders was acquired by:
  • Buying/using/testing a unit (including dismantling it to see what components were inside). Some notes were lost in 2005, though I do remember many things from 2002-2005 that are no longer in the collection.
  • Reading press releases, white papers, and other documents from the manufacturer -- often from their official websites. Many of these documents are now gone.
  • We know people. Lurking in various places online are engineers, product designers, etc -- and we've build relationships with them through the years, sometimes getting an inside scoop on the gear.
Quote:
I assume because this site ranked the newer Magnavox units an A- that the Magnavox MSR90D6 DVD Recorder would be good for transfer?
  • Older Magnavox decks were crap, to put it nicely. (Up through 2007.)
  • Newer Magnavox decks can record off television nicely, often being Philips clones or near-clones.
No Magnavox deck to date has the kinds of filters that remove noise from VHS tapes.

This question was asked in a private message. Rather than hide our tech advice in private conversations, Site Staff will often answer PMs (from any site) here in the digitalFAQ.com forum, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-05-2010, 08:27 AM
Free Member

Hi
I just bought the JVC DR-MV1S for about what the liteons sell for, I know there is all the vcr guts inside and you said it records better quality than the liteons and have read the "loading issues" but would you take that unit over the liteon? I am thinking longevity as well as performance?
Thanks
03-05-2010, 04:31 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

I would go for the LiteOn, because it has better quality. Almost any kind of longevity issue you face with a JVC can be repaired, be it capacitors on boards, or a new DVD burner -- assuming it even breaks down.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!