LinkBack Thread Tools
03-27-2010, 06:56 PM
Free Member

What's the best internal VCR cleaner?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-27-2010, 08:09 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

You don't want to use those "cleaning tapes" -- those things just move dirt around, and potentially mess up the heads.

A better option was explained in another post today: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/show...1353#post11353

Read over that, for info on cleaning a VCR properly. It gives info on both what TO DO and what NOT TO DO.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
03-30-2010, 03:47 PM
Free Member

I'm having a weird problem with my panasonic ag 1980, it's playing in like, slow motion, the audio is fine, but the picture is playing in the slow motion. I took the video out and tried it in another VCR and it plays fine on that one, what could be causing this problem, and how can I try to fix it?
03-30-2010, 03:50 PM

Is the tape recorded in SP, LP or SLP/EP? Sometimes VCRs didn't properly flag the recording for the speed, so the player just makes an assumption, and it can be wrong. Using another VCR may be your only option. If other tapes are fine, then leave it. You don't want to over-clean a unit, or alter a VCR just for one tape (unless the VCR is specifically owned for this purpose).

03-30-2010, 04:11 PM
Free Member

Well ive noticed this problem on a few other tapes...not this bad, but very jumpy picture, etc..i bought this vcr off your suggestion to get it for this project, so its a big bump in the road.
I havent done that cleaning method in the above post, it looks pretty extensive, do you think that's the only option to try to fix this problem?
03-30-2010, 05:01 PM

If it truly needs a cleaning, and it's not just a crummy tape, then a proper cleaning would require the method in that aforementioned link, yes.

No VCR plays all tapes perfectly -- it's one reason owning both a JVC S-VHS and Panasonic S-VHS is so often suggested, as this combo helps you tackle most tapes. However, even then, it still won't play 100% of tapes. Some tapes are just not very well made, either physically, or due to inferior recording hardware (consumer VHS VCRs or VHS cameras, in most cases).

09-25-2010, 01:42 AM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
You don't want to use those "cleaning tapes" -- those things just move dirt around, and potentially mess up the heads.
A better option was explained in another post today: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/show...1353#post11353
Read over that, for info on cleaning a VCR properly. It gives info on both what TO DO and what NOT TO DO.
Had the same question.Thanks for this great help.

Last edited by kpmedia; 09-26-2010 at 02:44 PM. Reason: no spam links