Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Videography: Cameras, TVs and Players

LinkBack Thread Tools
06-21-2010, 02:59 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

Quote:
I purchased the JVC M10S, hope it work well and I saw a JVC MV-1 with no remote for like 90 shipped, in my town that's not small, there are like 4 places that do transfers and I talked to all and the only way to get more than just a straight transfer is to pay like 60 hr for computer editing, so no one is doing TBC and enhancer/detailer for tape transfers and I have quite a few tapes to transfer for myself, so I will do this and offer it on the side in this town since no one else does, do you think the two JVC units will be sufficient, you said yours have been going strong for a while I think, some machines are made well and have a reputation of lasting and some don't. Thanks for all your help!!
I need to back into the question, starting from a rant/tangent...
You mention some things that I think need addressing (again)...

That's crap that businesses ...
... sorry, but I almost want to stop there.

To even call these places "businesses" doesn't sit well with me.
Anyway....

It's crap that these "places" pretend to offer professional services when they don't even use pro equipment. Many of them don't even know what pro equipment is. It's like children playing with grown-up toys. Sadly, it's these same posers that screw up the whole industry for the real pros, with their unrealistic pricing and policies.

DVD recorders and VCRs from Best Buy, Walmart and Costco doesn't cut it. (To the readers: If you're a service, and that's all you use, you're an ass.)

If you can learn great info here, put it into practice, and are able to do good work -- bravo for you. Plenty of work to go around, and people like you (and me/us) deserve it! Good services stick together, positive colleagues.

It's the slop shops that anger folks like you and me.
Eh-hem: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/foru...ptions-49.html

Anyway, those JVCs should last a good while, especially if cared for.
  • Turn off when not in use.
  • Only use when plugged into large battery backup UPS / surge brick.
  • Be sure it's really "off" and not in a power saving mode for "quick on" -- that's how the capacitors wear out
  • Unplug it when not being used for more than two weeks. Don't unplug it for less time, you can stress the caps that way.
These are mostly best used for VHS transfers, as it removes chroma noise. FR170-180 is second best. XP is best. Nothing else is really suggested.

A proc amp used with the unit may be needed, as the IRE values can flux between units. An IRE offset can vary from sources. It's a common "problem" among all TV, DVD and VHS hardware, however. The +/- varies. With most people using Chinese DVD players, set to IRE 0, they won't know anyway. Plus many people have terrible HDTV settings, too much contrast.

Use the proc amp to make the signal as best as possible, counteract an IRE lightening the JVC may do (if any -- test!), and then let the client worry about tweaking the display for an even more optimal image. I'm forever twiddling my Sony remote, to get the best setting per TV program, DVD, Blu-ray or tape. Takes like 10 seconds, and I'm set for the whole program. Not too much work, and well worth the time spent.

Good luck with your endeavors!

This question was asked in a private message. Rather than hide our tech advice in private conversations, Site Staff will often answer PMs (from any site) here in the digitalFAQ.com forum, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-25-2010, 04:23 PM
Free Member

Quote:
  • Turn off when not in use.
  • Only use when plugged into large battery backup UPS / surge brick.
  • Be sure it's really "off" and not in a power saving mode for "quick on" -- that's how the capacitors wear out
  • Unplug it when not being used for more than two weeks. Don't unplug it for less time, you can stress the caps that way.
Just wanted to add my experience in this. For sure use a UPS with these, I fried a JVC DR-M100S in a lightening storm and I live in an area where storms like that are not very common.

My other deck lasted me about three years before they had to replace the drive unit ($235 total, $90 for 1 hr of labor, $135 for drive/board replacement, $10 shipping) but I thew every type of available media at it (different brands of -RW +RW +R, -R, -RAM, discs recorded on by other DVD recorders) and anecdotal advice will say that these decks like you to stick with one media type (I use Sony -RW discs) for a limited amount of time (I only use the discs about 50 times each to be extra safe). Two years and hundreds of hours of recording with no problems as of yet.

Once again, I don't know how much science and truth behind those helpful hints of wisdom, but I've experienced a lot less in the way with quirks and problems with this deck by obeying those basic rules. YMMV.
The following users thank robjv1 for this useful post: admin (06-25-2010)
06-25-2010, 05:22 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Always glad to have your input, rob.

Quote:
anecdotal advice will say that these decks like you to stick with one media type (I use Sony -RW discs) for a limited amount of time (I only use the discs about 50 times each to be extra safe).
I would tend to agree on this. In fact, I'd go one further:
  • Dedicate a stack of DVD-RW that are going to ONLY be used with this machine. Don't share the discs with computers. Remember to only use 2x DVD-RW, and never 4x DVD-RW.
Although the DVD burner drives used in computers are technically the same ones used in DVD recorders ...
... because a DVD recorder is nothing more than a one-task computer, with a specialized integrated video-oriented motherboard, a MPEG chipset for the CPU (LSI Logic chipset, in the case of these JVC decks), possibly an analog and/or ATSC/QAM tuner, and a DVD burner....
... anecdotally, there are some differences.

Once a computer burns a DVD-RW, odd things tend to happen with the discs. For example, the disc will suddenly only read (or burn) in certain drives, players or recorders. Not all drives are the same, and I often think the variable burn quality found drive to drive tears up the discs. The phase-change crystalline-metallic alloy materials just don't seem to stand up well to wear, used on lots of different systems. Theoretically, I know it should not matter, but it does in practice. And as you know, this site values practical application above that of book theories.

I made the mistake of using some 2x DVD-RW in the computer, and those 5 discs are now unreliable. Sometimes the disc will "burn" (record) in the JVC deck, but nothing is recorded. Or the disc won't finalize. It's a nuisance. So I've set aside about 100 discs. When dedicated to the machine, I think the lifespans far outreach the conservative limit of 50.

What I'm using is this:
  • Fuji 2x DVD-RW
  • Sony 2x DVD-RW
  • Memorex 2x DVD-RW (Ritek ID)
  • Maxell 2x DVD-RW (Maxell ID)
  • Pioneer 2x DVD-RW (Pioneer/PVC ID)
  • TDK 2x DVD-RW (TDK ID)
Offhand, I don't remember the media ID's on the Fuji and Sony discs. The MID on the Sony might be Sony. The MID on the Fuji is probably Mitsubishi (MCC,MKM).

I also use these, without issue:
  • Verbatim 16x (1x-16x) DataLife MCC03RG20 DVD-R (inkjet or branded)
  • TDK 16x branded RITEKF1 -- not that I would suggest it, but I know it works, as I've used these discs extensively for testing needs.
I ran into issues with 4x Verbatim inkjet discs (Prodisc plant), as well as 8x Sony (SonyD1 Daxon Taiwan) discs. However, the media was fine in all of the computer burners -- the firmware in the JVC just doesn't hold up well to "new" discs. Remember that the LSI based JVC DVD recorders have firmware from 2004 and/or 2005. While the 16x MCC discs are undoubtedly functioning off a default write strategy -- it works well!

Dust is another issue. Keep units covered when not in use for extended periods of time. Be VERY SURE the power is off, if you cover it -- you don't want to trap heat!

Quote:
Once again, I don't know how much science and truth behind those helpful hints of wisdom, but I've experienced a lot less in the way with quirks and problems with this deck by obeying those basic rules. YMMV.
Nah, sometimes the science/theory doesn't match up with what actually happens anyway. I understand quite a bit of this tech, but am still dumbfounded on a regular basis -- maybe once a month. It all comes back to human error, to be honest. The intricate coding of firmwares and software is really what gets us. Most issues I run into are programming snafus. Sometimes they (companies or people) admit it, sometimes they don't.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!