08-20-2010, 05:04 PM
Premium Member

with my new HD TV, I have noticed my standard def DVDs do not look as good, would a DVD player with HDMI up conversion abilities really help? or is it a gimmick? I tried hooking up mine with component red,green & blue cables, & I see a little improvement as opposed to without them. Would an HDMI connection be any better? & can I use this cable alone? or do I still need the red,yellow, & white cables as well?

I was told for better reception when tuning through my VCR, (I do this so I can record signals) that I should connect it to my converter box with the red, yellow, & white cables. I tried this, & could not get a signal.

I have this converter box hooked up this way to record signals with my VCR; http://www.dsconverter.com/index.php?p=3&im=4

would this set up work better? to record signals & get better reception? http://www.dsconverter.com/index.php?p=3&im=3

my LCD HD TV has a set of composite hookups on the back; one set of component, one HDMI, & one RF input, and a 2and set of composite hookups on the side.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-21-2010, 08:36 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sossity View Post
with my new HD TV, I have noticed my standard def DVDs do not look as good, would a DVD player with HDMI up conversion abilities really help? or is it a gimmick? I tried hooking up mine with component red,green & blue cables, & I see a little improvement as opposed to without them. Would an HDMI connection be any better? & can I use this cable alone? or do I still need the red,yellow, & white cables as well?

I was told for better reception when tuning through my VCR, (I do this so I can record signals) that I should connect it to my converter box with the red, yellow, & white cables. I tried this, & could not get a signal.

I have this converter box hooked up this way to record signals with my VCR; http://www.dsconverter.com/index.php?p=3&im=4

would this set up work better? to record signals & get better reception? http://www.dsconverter.com/index.php?p=3&im=3

my LCD HD TV has a set of composite hookups on the back; one set of component, one HDMI, & one RF input, and a 2and set of composite hookups on the side.
RE: Upconverting DVD players -- to some extent, I think it is a bit of a gimmick, or rather is a bit subjective in terms of looking "better". Most of the ones I've seen seem to smooth over the picture too much for my liking, but having said that there are reportedly some good ones. I have an Oppo DV-980H, which I find to have excellent picture quality that looks good over both the HDMI and Component inputs (I find a lot of upscaling players tend to look better over component than HDMI/DVI). They are only available on the used market at this point, but they might be worth a shot. Many LCD's tend to reveal flaws in lower-resolution sources in ways that the good old tube TV's hid it -- and the fact that most people jump from a 20-27" screen to 40"+ doesn't help either.

RE: Your VCR hookup -- I take it you are using a digital to analog converter and not referring to a cable converter? So you're saying when it's hooked up the first way, it works fine (you can view tapes / record tapes, and view your TV signal)? There is one issue with the second link you posted -- it bypasses the VCR completely, so is your setup actually the antenna coax into the converter box with the composite cords running into your VCR and then running out from your VCR to your TV?

If so -- and a silly question I know, but when you have it hooked up the second way, do you have your TV turned to the right input to view your VCR? Try putting a tape in the VCR and pressing play, and then cycling through the various inputs via the remote that controls your television (Video1, Video2, etc) and identify which input the VCR is hooked up to (the input might be labeled on the back of the TV where you plug in the composite cable as well).

As far as quality goes, I think it depends more on the digital converter than anything, so I would compare for yourself. One thing to be aware of for things you aren't interested in recording -- you can likely get over-the-air HD channels with your antenna hooked directly into you television set that will look a lot better (actually in HD) than anything that goes through your converter.

Last edited by robjv1; 08-21-2010 at 08:47 AM.
08-23-2010, 04:05 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

It's a gimmick. HDTV sets have to upconvert already. So why have a DVD player do what the TV is going to do anyway? To make matters worse, most TV sets have far better scalers than a DVD player will. It's just a gimmick to sell more players, and get people to piss away more money on something they don't need. I'm reminded of "DVD safe" markers -- completely unnecessary.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!