Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Videography: Cameras, TVs and Players

LinkBack Thread Tools
10-29-2010, 08:57 PM
Free Member

Hello again. If it's alright, I would like to try a question related to something different than VHS this time.

Thing is, I'm planning to replace my almost broken down dvd-player and would consider upgrading to a HD player with dvd support, but I'm not sure if my combined criteria are too quixotic (or expensive) since shops tend to be quite obscure about them.

Some preferences:
- can be easily tweaked to act as a region-free dvd-player
- support analogue output (svid or composite, which is still required for the time being)
- well available in European territory (preferably)
- not costing over 220 euros, hopefully

Then what I assume to be the harder part:
- can play back files from a usb2 hdd (I'm not sure if my current one is formatted as FAT32 or NTSF though.. I'll check later in case it's an issue)
- support for avi and mkv file containers, and common multimedia codecs such as h264, xvid, divx, mp3 and aac (as for the maximum supported resolution for xvid/divx/h264 content, it should at least be able to handle 1280x720, although full HD might be convenient for the future too).

My main concern is that reasonably affordable stand-alone devices may not be as wonderfully compatible with hdd files as their specs make them sound, and throw problems based on, I don't know, things like incompatible resolutions, subtitles or encoder versions. Maybe it's just me being traditional and paranoid, since I've always relied on pc-playback for media files, but if there's such a risk I'm sure no salesman will inform me about it in advance.

Of course, taking note of technical progress, I'm also willing to try a blu-ray player, and it would even have my preference, except I'm suspecting that there aren't as many that can be set to region free for dvd's. Then again, I'll first gladly hear what options are available for mentioned preferences, and then may decide on how to balance priorities.
The following users thank Kereellis for this useful post: mlongue1 (12-08-2010)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-27-2010, 05:46 AM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

Sony DVD players can output video in a progressive format for compatible TVs. Connectivity is relatively limited. Most other current and available DVD players in the same price class as the Sony DVP-SR200P/B.

11-27-2010, 01:00 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

This question seems to have slipped by the "new question" queue. Sorry about that. The above spammer bumped it back into the queue.
I'll look to give you a good answer here...

Does it all have to be in a single unit?
Have you consider owning two devices, like I do: A good DVD player coupled with a good "media center" (like the WDTV). -- Yes/no?

I'll assume you've probably done some research on your own in past weeks since making this post. If so, what direction were you leaning in?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
The following users thank kpmedia for this useful post: mlongue1 (12-08-2010)
12-04-2010, 02:28 PM
Free Member

Ah thanks for taking the time to dig up this topic. It's been a while since I posted, so indeed there have been some changes in my considerations.

Actually for various reasons I've recently gone and bought a new pc that can handle HD file content more efficiently, which should make the quest for a decent, affordable blu-ray player much simpler. Then again, I still have no clue about which models can be easily tweaked to support region free dvd in this case, so that question still stands

Another issue I've run into is that the more up-to-date pci-e videocard is a huge step back from the Ati Radeon 9600XT aiw in my older pc in terms of extra features. The problem here is of course that I would like to be able to output to my tv (not just for file playback, but also to use the tv as a reference monitor when editing video), and for that I believe there are two options to consider. The first is a vga-> svid/rgb cable, and the second one, a more expensive, plug & play usb-based vga/dvi-> svid/rgb converter. However, I'm not sure what edge the latter supposedly provides over a simple cable solition that justifies this sort of set up and higher price, so I'm still indecisive. Otherwise, are there perhaps KVM devices that come with an s-vid tv-out? (Given that I'll likely be using two pc's for a while to come and consider such a device already anyway).

Secondly, is of course the issue of finding a worthy alternative to the 9600XT. I can keep my old pc for capturing, but I don't feel like staying a 100% dependent on it's aiw and agp slot, since it's definitely getting old in some other departments.

After running through some topics of people running into the same problem as me, I came across the suggestion of the Blackmagic design intenstity pro by someone, but it was also called an overkill in that same topic. Perhaps this would be because of the price? However it is sold for only 160 euros (shipment incluis) on ebay, which is quite a lot less than I've spent on purchasing various pieces of flawed equipment so far (two jvc's, one with sound issues, one with internal tbc issues, a usb sound card that adds skips etc.). Could there still be a reason to avoid this card and desperately stick with the 9600xt till the end of times nonetheless though?

Summarized, I've come to understand I can't benefit from both the advantages of a fast, modern-day video card and analogue compatibility functions in one device, so I'm thinking of ammending the new pc with a) a cable/converter for playback on a non-hdmi tv and b) a great quality capture device that doesn't hardware compress.

Of course, you're free to split these questions over different topics, as I think you might want to. It's just that I wanted to keep these questions together to better give an impression of my situation.
12-05-2010, 10:35 PM
Free Member

Hello again,

Sorry to bump this so soon, but since otherwise I'll have return my Hauppauge this week, I'd like to know if the Blackmage device I posted about is more useful. If not, I might as well keep the Hauppauge as a reserve. That's the only urgent question for now, so thanks
12-05-2010, 10:56 PM

You might find this somewhat related post useful, on the topic of ATI All In Wonder cards:
http://www.digitalFAQ.com/forum/show...tml?#post13441

You could possibly use a KVM with a VGA-to-something adapter (SCART, component, HDMI, DVI, etc).

Upgrade the system to ATI 9600, 2GB RAM, and the best motherboard and CPU you can find. One system here is a 3.2Ghz Intel on an Asus board, and it's awesome. Add in 2TB of hard drive via SATA-IDE adapter, and you're good to go. Main OS drive 120GB. Good Pioneer DVD burner. SoundBlaster PCI audio card. This is a recent system, just built, using "outdated" parts. Works like a dream. Feed captures to quad-core system over gigabit network, and ready to edit or restore.

I do think we've strayed a bit from the initial topic of playback.

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
12-05-2010, 11:04 PM

Quote:
I came across the suggestion of the Blackmagic design intenstity pro by someone, but it was also called an overkill in that same topic. Perhaps this would be because of the price?
Both that and the features list. But overkill is better than underkill.

Quote:
However it is sold for only 160 euros (shipment incluis) on ebay, which is quite a lot less than I've spent on purchasing various pieces of flawed equipment so far
True! Just be sure the card comes with everything. B&H was criticized earlier this year (last year?) for selling cards that lacked the dongle/bundle, which added another $50 or so to buy. I don't know if that was specific to them, or if there are "OEM" style versions out there that lack the full retail package and goodies. Simply stated, do your research.

Quote:
Could there still be a reason to avoid this card and desperately stick with the 9600xt till the end of times nonetheless though?
I don't know that I'd use the word "avoid" as much as suggest that ATI problems have long been solved, whereas Blackmagic questions are rather new and I do see them unresolved on some issues. There've been posts in forums here and there, about various problems.

Quote:
otherwise I'll have return my Hauppauge this week, I'd like to know if the Blackmage device I posted about is more useful.
I just don't know enough to feel comfortable enough giving an answer on it. I'm partially unclear on the specific purpose of the card, as well as specific model numbers, and even software that it's going to be used in conjunction with. The full workflow is an unknown to me.

12-06-2010, 09:35 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kereellis View Post
Another issue I've run into is that the more up-to-date pci-e videocard is a huge step back from the Ati Radeon 9600XT aiw in my older pc in terms of extra features. The problem here is of course that I would like to be able to output to my tv
All newer video cards pretty much come with video out standard. Most have a dedicated full screen video function as well, ATI calls their feature (confusingly enough) THEATER Mode. Nvidia has a similar function in their drivers. Both have issues running under Windows Vista/7, but workarounds exist. Neither are nearly as friendly as the old Matrox DualHead system my old Marvel G400TV had though. These modes likely aren't suitable for video editing work, as the output isn't controlled by the video editing app and may differ in aspect ratio and color from the original source. Sadly your only choices on a PC for accurate "printing to videotape" is a professional capture/editing board (these have dedicated video outputs for preview and VCRs), or something like a DV firewire-to-analog bridge (has its own drawbacks, namely unneeded layer of compression and 4:1:1 chroma sub-sampling with NTSC video).

As for the Blackmagic card, reviews are mixed. Many folks have had driver issues and problems with customer support. Is it overkill? Depends on your needs. HD is the direction video is going, so that HDMI and component input may see use in the future. The Intensity Pro is also one of the only cards out there that has full Mac support and full DirectShow support under Windows...which leads to the next problem you will run into.

Most video capture cards coming out today don't come with system wide DirectShow capture drivers anymore. Instead you are forced to use the vendor's proprietary capture application. These programs usually have limited capture settings, and the cards themselves come with onboard MPEG encoders that can't be bypassed so uncompressed capture is simply not available. I've also seen these capture programs automatically de-interlace all incoming video () and introduce other filtering and processing that can't be bypassed. Great for time shifting, but horrible for DVD transfers.
The following users thank NJRoadfan for this useful post: mlongue1 (12-08-2010)
12-06-2010, 01:10 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Quote:
Most video capture cards coming out today don't come with system wide DirectShow capture drivers anymore. Instead you are forced to use the vendor's proprietary capture application.
Unless I'm mistaken, I believe this is largely due to the changes in how Windows Vista and Windows 7 now handle video and multimedia, as compared to Windows 9x, 2K and XP lineage operating systems. The OS has changed, and not for the better. This is the main reason ATI All In Wonder cards don't work under Vista or 7, for video capture. The older ATI AIW relied on XP a bit.

Quote:
and introduce other filtering and processing that can't be bypassed
This is very true. Even the ATI 600 USB has somewhat hidden filtering settings enabled by default, which cause ringing due to excessive false over-sharpening of the incoming signal. Or so I've heard. I need to look into it a bit more. It's generally not noticeable unless you're using test patterns or linear sources (cartoons, text, etc). Most live-action video will go unnoticed, as edge sharpening those sources has little effect.

Quote:
Great for time shifting
... if you plan to watch and delete. It's definitely not for archiving.

Quote:
All newer video cards pretty much come with video out standard.
For simple video out, I'd look for HDMI output. Many new computers, such as Mac minis and HP slimlines, come with HDMI output, using systems based on nVidia cards. It can also be converted to DVI-D output, for computer monitors, with an inexpensive $25 (or less) crossover adapter or cable. No video input, just output.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
The following users thank admin for this useful post: mlongue1 (12-08-2010)
12-06-2010, 05:54 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Unless I'm mistaken, I believe this is largely due to the changes in how Windows Vista and Windows 7 now handle video and multimedia, as compared to Windows 9x, 2K and XP lineage operating systems. The OS has changed, and not for the better. This is the main reason ATI All In Wonder cards don't work under Vista or 7, for video capture. The older ATI AIW relied on XP a bit.
Alot of it has to do with the simple fact that ATI didn't bother to update the drivers. The move to 64-bit on machines also didn't help as that requires new drivers as well. From a system standpoint, not much has changed in terms of APIs. DirectShow still is the "standard" API for video capture and codecs in Windows 7.

The new Media Foundation API is supposed to eventually replace DirectShow, but Microsoft has been slowly rolling it out and is mostly limited to video playback acceleration. I don't even think it has a hardware driver specification for capture yet, instead just relying on DirectShow drivers. I'll have to look at the sample code and see if it works with my capture card.

Edit: No dice. Media Foundation only supports USB Video Class 1.1 capture devices (aka web cams)... retarded. Oh well, I don't foresee DirectShow capture going anywhere anytime soon. Heck, VfW was marked for death back in Windows 2000, and it still available in Windows 7 x64.

Last edited by NJRoadfan; 12-06-2010 at 06:15 PM.
The following users thank NJRoadfan for this useful post: mlongue1 (12-08-2010)
12-07-2010, 02:46 PM
Free Member

Thanks for the variety of responses guys, it's good to be broadly informed.

I think I'll just give the Blackmagic a try and mind if it comes with a dongle included. I could use it for less valuable tapes, or future recordings of digital video, and leave the AIW/ older pc alone for the older vhs/v8 homevideos.

Quote:
You might find this somewhat related post useful, on the topic of ATI All In Wonder cards:
http://www.digitalFAQ.com/forum/show...tml?#post13441
Thanks, but what problem is it exactly those hacks solve? That is, I think I haven't run into the problem of the AIW falsely identifying my homevideos as copyrighted.The only sensitivity of the AIW that bothers me is that to disturbances in the input of frames. Even my Easycap is far less likely to insert frames without a tbc.

Quote:
You could possibly use a KVM with a VGA-to-something adapter (SCART, component, HDMI, DVI, etc).
By an adapter do you mean a cable with various connectors or a usb device? It would sort of seem likely that a usb converter is supposed to strengthen the signal, but would that even matter for a distance of 3-4 meter? I also understand from your post I'll have to invest in two seperate extensions then (vga-svid adapter and KVM).

Quote:
All newer video cards pretty much come with video out standard.
As pointed out, I specifically meant an S-vid or composite out, not the driver abilities to transmit video to tv. Although the quick setup booklet of my Nvidia ENGT430 does still depict a model with an s-vid connection for some reason, so maybe I'm just malinformed and similar models still carry it?
12-07-2010, 06:49 PM

My post was aimed at the history section, and the availability of PCI-E version cards -- not the hacks and downloads in that same thread. See my new post there.

The KVM is basically just the switch box itself. The adapter would go between the KVM and the other device. Sometimes it's a wire that has two different types of ends (for example, stereo mini on one side, RCA on other), or it's a small adapter that you affix to the end of a bigger wire (for example, a DVI-D\HDMI converter, to be used with DVI or HDMI wire).

Because we're still talking about what could be the computer setup, instead of what it is, it's a bit hard to peg down an exact combination of wires, adapters and boxes needed for the specific hardware that will be in use -- assuming it's possible.

Quote:
I think I'll just give the Blackmagic a try and mind if it comes with a dongle included. I could use it for less valuable tapes, or future recordings of digital video, and leave the AIW/ older pc alone for the older vhs/v8 homevideos.
This sounds like a good course of action.