03-02-2011, 08:12 PM
Free Member

Hi,
I have so many movies/video clips with AVI-xvid format mostly downloaded and converted. They are in various sizes and resolutions. I want to view them in standalone dvd player by burning as data files only. I don't want to convert them to dvd format as the quality of the source is not that good and also not to deteriorate further.
Can I have a simple menu like thumbnails and buttons so that I can choose and play the movie.
If yes, please let me know the procedure and details.
Thanks..
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-04-2011, 05:55 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

This isn't possible.

A DVD player (or more precisely, a DVD-Video player) will only play video that is compiled into the DVD-Video format, which is very specific and has narrow specs. Without going into too much detail, DVD-Video is based on MPEG-2 compression, PCM or AC3 or DTS or MPEG Layer II audio, and both audio and video have very rigid minimums and maximums for allowed bitrates and other internal codec settings (example: GOP length). It's authored to 1GB VOB sets with IFO nav data, inside a specific folder structure (VIDEO_TS).

At best, some DVD players will allow you to play more video formats, such as WMV or AVI (Xvid and DivX codecs only). Take a look at the Philips models of DVD players. Specifically, at the time of this post (March 2011), look at the Philips DVP3560/F7 DVD Player with 1080p HDMI Upscaling and Multimedia DiVX that's available for $72 shipped from Amazon.com.

Another option is to avoid DVD players entirely, and go for one of the small "media center" devices, such as the Western Digital WDTV ($69 shipped from Amazon) or the WDTV Plus ($94 shipped from Amazon). The WDTV will play most AVI, MKV, MPEG files, plus several others. The WDTV Plus adds a few more file type and codec choices, such as ISO files (aka "DVD rips").

That's really your only option for playing non-DVD-Video files as is, without conversion, on a TV.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
03-04-2011, 10:27 AM
Free Member

Thanks a lot for the information. I have a dvd player capable of playing divx/xvid files.