08-10-2011, 02:44 PM
Free Member

Hi! I'm new to this site, so I hope I'm not putting this thread in the wrong place...if so, I apologise!
I registered to this forum in hope to have some help by competent persons like Lordsmurf...
Here is the problem.
I recently bought a Panasonic NV-FS200 (european AG-1980) to start putting on dvd some of my most precious vhs tapes, but unfortunately i received it not working! The guy i got if from is trustable, and when he sent it to me it was just perfect (it was tested by his tech father right before selling it): wonderfully kept and low hours, a dream!
Something must have happened during transport...we all know the rudeness of shipping companies...
The load and eject mechanism is ok...the tape gets in and gets out without problem, but it's the only thing it does! It doesn't play, it doesn't ffwd, it doesn't rewind!
I opened it to see if there was maybe something stuck or whatever, but everything seems in place...the drum runs regulary, and when you press play, the tape is transported to the drum regularly...but then the play doesn't happen, the tape doesn't move, and after a few seconds it gets to stop automatically!
Anyone has an idea of what could be wrong?
I'm bringing it to a tech anyway tomorrow, but I would appreciate any opinion anyway!!!
Thanks!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-11-2011, 06:18 AM
Free Member

Fixed it.
An out of place part was jamming the mechanism (the plastic holding the part broke, evidently during transport).
Glued it back. Now it works fine.
I was trying to delete this thread but I cannot seem to find a way, so i'll just leave it here.
08-20-2011, 10:21 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Hi vaccastracca, welcome to the site. Like another new poster (see thread), you managed to figure our you own problem within a few hours of posting. That's great, it's always nice to see dedication and ingenuity from people, where they're able to figure out their own problems. Excellent, indeed.

As was the case with that person, I'll also point this out to you...

Always remember this site has user manuals and service manuals!
Download the manual for your exact model (or even a close version) from User Manuals and Service Manuals for VCRs / other video av gear

The NV-FS200 and AG-1980 are essentially the same VCR. And the AG-1980 service manual is there online, just download it and troubleshoot. With those kinds of manuals, you can troubleshoot (and fix!!) almost anything. Some you can do at home, on your own. Others require more tools and skills, and are best handled by a certified repair shop. So just keep that in mind.

Most issues like yours are due to blocked sensors or loose parts in the transport path.

Hope that helps.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
08-21-2011, 10:25 AM
Free Member

Thank you Lordsmurf!
I just downloaded the service manual, like you suggested!
With that, I guess I'll be able to keep this VCR perfectly working for a very long time!!! :-)
11-26-2014, 09:25 AM
Free Member

Well actually the NV FS 200 is NOT the same with AG 1980 inside, only outside looks similar. If you care to open the unit you will be surprised to notice that NV HS 1000 is similar to AG 1980 inside, minus the video heads and some other small things, but the mechanical parts are very close to identical with the NV HS 1000..... , and NOT NV-FS 200.
Now the PCB's are different....on both units.
So because it looks on the outside similar, actually it is not.
Another myth is that Samsung SW5000 is a Pana Agw2 rebadge. Well PanaW2 and PanaW1 are outstanding units that are very different from SamsungSW5000. If somebody is curious enough to open a PanaW3 will notice that on the main board is written "samsung SW 5000". How about that. So who was first the egg or the chicken?
Was fun reading the posts, and some are really good.
Just my 2 cents.
12-02-2014, 08:30 PM
Free Member

Please update this info in the list that shows the most desirable/or not VCR's:

Multisystem VCR's:
Samsung sv 3000 is similar to Panasonic ag w2
Samsung sv 5000 is similar to Panasonic ag w3
Samsung sv 7000 has the Secam-L for France as an extra
Panasonic ag w1 is different from the above.

Panasonic ag 1980 (NTSC) has the same k mechanism as the panasonic nv hs 1000(PAL)
Panasonic nv fs 200 (PAL) uses a g mechanism if I remember correctly, so it is very different on the inside, except the outside look is similar to the ag 1980(NTSC) and ag 1970(NTSC).

Thanks.