Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Videography: Cameras, TVs and Players

LinkBack Thread Tools
06-11-2012, 02:41 PM
Free Member

Hello,

I'm in the shopping of a new multisystem TV to replace my Hitachi CRT multi-system TV. Multisystem means that it can display PAL and NTSC video without conversion. Since there is 3d technology, I'd figure I'd get one to watch 3d movies. Now the question is - how is it going to handle interlaced material. Should I buy a scaler/line doubler or do modern TVs handle it? How do I find out? Thanks.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-16-2012, 05:52 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
I'm not readily aware of any multisystem PAL/NTSC 3D HDTVs.

All interlaced video is deinterlaced by hardware scalers inside of HDTVs. These are vastly superior to software methods.
All HDTVs have scalers/deinterlacers.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: metaleonid (06-16-2012)
06-16-2012, 10:49 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
I'm not readily aware of any multisystem PAL/NTSC 3D HDTVs.

All interlaced video is deinterlaced by hardware scalers inside of HDTVs. These are vastly superior to software methods.
All HDTVs have scalers/deinterlacers.
Lordsmurf, what do you think of this one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...4.html/bi/4166

Will it do the job? There are no specs whether it can do 50p, 60p, 60i, 50i.

Also when they deinterlace, do they double frame rate?
06-17-2012, 01:29 AM
Premium Member

The TV B&H is selling is a grey market import of a European model, which means there is no factory warranty on that product! Generally TVs sold in the USA only do NTSC frame rates. This is to prevent folks from Europe from importing cheap electronics from here. TVs and such are taxed heavily in the EU compared to the USA. Meanwhile just about everything available in Europe is multi-system.
The following users thank NJRoadfan for this useful post: metaleonid (06-17-2012)
06-17-2012, 07:37 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRoadfan View Post
The TV B&H is selling is a grey market import of a European model, which means there is no factory warranty on that product! Generally TVs sold in the USA only do NTSC frame rates. This is to prevent folks from Europe from importing cheap electronics from here. TVs and such are taxed heavily in the EU compared to the USA. Meanwhile just about everything available in Europe is multi-system.
B&H said it was not returnable unless it has manufactured defects. However, there's an extended warranty on this. Yet, I'd like to know whether it can do 60i, 50i, 50p, 60p.
06-18-2012, 11:12 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaleonid View Post
However, there's an extended warranty on this.
It's probably a third-party warranty sold by Mack Camera through B&H. Be wary of Mack warranties.
As far as I'm concerned, it's just a waster of time and money. You'll wait months to get repair/replacement servicing.

Even manufacturers are not as bad as Mack Camera.

- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
06-18-2012, 11:56 AM
Free Member

No, it's http://www.bandhsagemax.com/. But more important is how to find out whether it can do all the double frame rates?
06-18-2012, 07:23 PM
Site Staff | Video

Generally speaking, if the specs are not listed, then it cannot do whatever it is that you are wanting.

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: metaleonid (06-18-2012)
06-19-2012, 02:33 PM
Free Member

Now the obvious question. Since most if not all HDMI equipped TVs have refresh rates vary up to at least 120Hz, if I buy the regular one in North America and feed it 50p/50i (i.e. PAL) via HDMI, is it going to take it?
06-19-2012, 04:31 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
It's probably a third-party warranty sold by Mack Camera through B&H. Be wary of Mack warranties.
As far as I'm concerned, it's just a waster of time and money. You'll wait months to get repair/replacement servicing.

Even manufacturers are not as bad as Mack Camera.
The only good thing about Mack is that they are local. My only experience with them was Betamax deck repairs (!) They do tend to be a hassle with warranty repairs (even walk ins) from what people have told me.

Regarding PAL framerates on US TVs, it likely won't work and the display will show "unsupported video mode".
The following users thank NJRoadfan for this useful post: metaleonid (06-19-2012)
06-20-2012, 12:30 PM
Site Staff | Video

The only other thing I can think to say here is that this would be a gamble on your part.

I'm fine with certain gray-market items, but HDTVs are simply not one of them. I'd rather get a native NTSC television with excellent image quality and filters that clean up the image off of the disk, satellite, even Blu-ray, etc. A TV is still one of the things I like to see in person, even if I do buy it later online.

I also have my doubts on whether you could get a true 50/60 PAL/NTSC 3D HDTV, where everything worked in both formats. I'd have to see that, in person, with my own discs, before I'd plop down the money on it. You'd also need multiple players with native PAL and NTSC, and the devices would need to take 110 N.A. power.

If you do buy something from B&H, use our link: B&H

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: metaleonid (06-20-2012)
06-20-2012, 12:41 PM
Free Member

Quote:
I also have my doubts on whether you could get a true 50/60 PAL/NTSC 3D HDTV, where everything worked in both formats.
I believe all European models can handle NTSC. So what comes as multisystem here in US, is default in Europe. But I will keep doing research.

Quote:
You'd also need multiple players with native PAL and NTSC, and the devices would need to take 110 N.A. power.
That is going to be my next question and an item to look for. Multisystem region free 3d BD/DVD player.

I was looking at this one:
http://www.220-electronics.com/dvd/S...ree_bluray.htm

Quote:
If you do buy something from B&H, use our link: B&H
I had no idea about it. Should've been informed earlier. I bought $1200 value camera for my wife from them 2 weeks ago.

I was thinking. There's a setup MacBookPro-ThunderBolt-HDMI-HDTV on which it is possible to display anything using VLC player including PAL movies. Then how come using HDMI from PAL BD player will be blocked?

--Leonid
06-20-2012, 12:46 PM
Site Staff | Video

PAL TVs do not play actual NTSC, however -- it's PAL60 playback.
That's an important distinction in certain conversations, and I'm sure 3D playback will be one of them.

Same for "multi-region" players. Regions mean nothing. It's format that matters.
And NTSC is not PAL60. I have a feeling that the 3D signal will get mangled in signals conversion.
It's also not a true PAL/NTSC conversion, as companies like 220-electronics.com state. That's just false information on their part.