Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Videography: Cameras, TVs and Players

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-29-2012, 06:24 PM
Free Member

My wife and I are looking for a camera/video can that will be good for both taking pictures of kids and vacation trips. We also would like to have video capabilities to be able to record kids sport games, concerts, and stuff around the house. I am looking to ideally spend under $300 but would spend up to $5-600 for the perfect device. I am not looking for perfect video and picture quality but I would like to have a great combo option so I can capture what i described above.

I have been looking at three options a:
1. Nikon D3100 - my biggest downside with this is it only takes 10minutes of video.
2. Samsung Qf20 - I am worried the photo quality and video quality won't be great.
3. Panasonic lumix dmc-zs19k - I am concerned this will have poor video quality for what I described above.

Any help would be awesome.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-25-2014, 02:33 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Since this is an old post, I'm curious what decisions was made and why.

The biggest issues with DSLRs is the rolling shutter effect. That combined with limitations on recording time (always under 30 minutes) makes it a bad choice for casual users.

That leaves camcorders.

The best solution is to use a video camera for video, and a photo camera for photos. A video cameras always takes lousy stills (when available), and a still camera takes subpar videos (when available).

This was an unanswered question or unresolved issue found during a site audit. It's hard to have an FAQ when the answers are missing, or final outcomes are unknown. At The Digital FAQ support forum, questions are never intentionally ignored, and may have been missed due to a forum glitch or human error. More details on the audit. (In some cases, threads have been edited/updated with newer information.)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
09-01-2014, 07:37 PM
Free Member

The Panasonic Lumix GH4 seems to be getting closer to a true stills/video hybrid. 4K capable with a sensor readout of <50 milliseconds minimising rolling shutter. 3G-SDI 4:2:2/10-bit output, Colour Bars, Zebra, Focus Peaking and 1kHz Audio Test Tone. I'm looking to get one to replace a Canon XH-A1s camcorder for primary acquisition.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/...digital-camera