11-18-2012, 04:01 PM
Free Member

http://youtu.be/7GWELPPMJKE

I got some good feedback last time I posted on this forum. I produced my first starscape time lapse video. Would be cool if I got some feedback on it.

I shot this on my Canon 600D/T3i HDSLR with the EF 50mm f/1.8 II prime lens. I shot with a 20 second exposure, with 25 second intervals using Magic Lantern on a 32gb SD card. Auto white balance, and ISO. I left the camera shooting for around 16 minutes.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-18-2012, 06:03 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

The embedded ad actually makes it hard to watch, because the video is so short. By the time you click the X on the Google ad, the 0:05 (5s) are up. If you're going to have Google ads, I'd run at least 10 seconds of black, with some sort of label (intro logo or title), which allows a person to X the ad away.

Generally speaking, unless the video is at least 30 seconds long, it's really nothing more than a test clip. Of course, I did read the description, and understand why it's only 5 seconds...

Quote:
This is a short starscape time lapse that I produced for a college music video project. I wanted to produce a much longer time lapse to share on my channel, however I liked how this version turned out. We used this 4 second time lapse in our music video. Also it isn't a shooting star going through the sky, it was actually an airplane.

I really did want to produce a longer time lapse to share on the channel, however after a week of attempting most nights, I just couldn't produce it. It was either too cloudy to see the stars, too foggy, or once it was okay, and 20 minutes into the time lapse the clouds appeared ruining the video.
I decided that this version worked the best, with the airplane.

I shot this on my Canon 600D/T3i HDSLR with the EF 50mm f/1.8 II prime lens. I shot with a 20 second exposure, with 25 second intervals using Magic Lantern on a 32gb SD card. Auto white balance, and ISO. I left the camera shooting for around 16 minutes.

Equipment used in this video -
Canon 600D / T3i HDSLR
EF 50mm f/1.8 II
Integral ultima pro 32gb SD card
Magic Lantern firmware hack with the built in intervalometer

This video was created by Bradley Stearn from Red Spectrum Pictures
... but I'd keep trying for something longer.

I actually don't think I'd have a problem with clouds, if it was passing clouds, as opposed to a complete blotting out of the sky. That might make it more interesting that a normal sky, in fact. It would give it a sense of movement and action, if nothing else. (The plane did give a fleeting sense of action, but it was so short as to be confused with a bug, digital glitch, or the unlikely errant UFO.)

There's definitely some "hot spot" in the center of the image. This may be a weakness of either the glass, or of the sensor.

The video appears slightly blurry ... but I think that's an artifact of the Youtube compression and resizing. You should attach an unaltered (unraped) version to a forum reply. Youtube just makes too much of a mess of videos sometimes, and I'm afraid this may be one of those times. If you attach it here, I can embed it at full size (max 720p).

The exposure feels a bit light for calibrated computer monitors in sRGB space, but looks pretty good for NTSC specs. I ran it across several monitors. So I think I'd call that a pass.

I like where this is going... but keep going.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.