Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Videography: Cameras, TVs and Players

LinkBack Thread Tools
09-26-2012, 05:44 AM
Premium Member

My newer Panasonic camera uses this video file format. My mom has a Philips DVD player; the DVP3962 http://www.amazon.com/Philips-DVP396.../dp/B002SV04HS, & in the user handbook, it states it plays .mp4 files, or file extension has to be .mp4. Does anybody here know if the Philips will play the .mp4 files that my camera produces (.mp4-H.264-AAC)?

can anybody suggest a multi region dvd player or blue ray player (under $80.00) that will play alot of different video formats? specifically for me now, .mpg, & .mp4 h.264, AAC.

Last edited by Sossity; 09-26-2012 at 06:17 AM.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-28-2012, 09:10 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Samsung BD-E5900 3D WiFi Blu-ray Disc Player (Black)

This one is normally about $110 to $120, but there are a bunch of refurbs available for $80 right now:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...8841371&sr=8-1

It plays:
Disc Types:BD, DVD, DVD±R, DVD±RW, CD-DA, CD-R, CD-RW
Video Formats:H.264, MPEG-2/4, Xvid, MKV, HD JPEG, WMV, AVCHD, VC1
Audio Formats:MP3, AC3, LPCM, WMA, AAC, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, DTS-HD

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
09-29-2012, 12:44 AM
Premium Member

Thanks for the suggestion, I looked at some of the reviews, & it looks like it is difficult to set up, my mom would be setting it up with a tube SD TV. It looks a bit complicated with wifi & all that. Is this player region free?

It would probably be used to mostly watch DVD's, & to be able to playback content/video files from my camera.

Is there a way to simply hook this up & just use it for DVD watching? are there any simple to use blu ray players? could this one suggested be simple to use?

we are all coming from analog SD TV, we don't even have cable, we use an antenna because the signal is free, & we don't have to pay for expensive cable & satellite etc, so we need something that will be easy to use/set up/understand.

Also forgot to mention it would be good if it were a region free blu ray player.
09-29-2012, 04:39 AM
Site Staff | Video

The Samsung player is not at all difficult to use. It's not any different from any other DVD players: turn on, insert disc, sit on couch, watch DVD. You now get the added feature of: insert USB drive, sit on couch, watch videos.

You don't have to use the Wifi or other features, if you don't want to -- your main reason for buying this is to dump videos on a USB flash drive, and plug it in, and it works. It also plays DVD and Blu-ray. Don't lose sight of why you're buying it. Also don't try to foolishly look for a player that "does less, but still does everything I want" -- it doesn't work that way, yet many people waste time on this fruitless endeavor. Find the device that does what you want, and ignore anything it has that you don't want. (And you may even change you mind later, and learn to use and like that extra stuff!)

Most Blu-ray players have HDMI out, and only HDMI out. You'll need to spend about $40 on a good HDMI-to-composite adapter.
This one has good reviews: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...K&linkCode=as2

You won't find a region-free Bu-ray player. If you have non-R1 DVDs, just copy them. The copy process strips region "protection". If you currently have a DVD player that plays PAL DVDs (or DVDs from other regions) without issues, keep using it. Add this Blu-ray player, don't replace something else. I know a lot of people want to replace X device with Y device, but again -- it doesn't work that way.

Just get it. You'll like it.

09-29-2012, 05:51 AM
Premium Member

that is what I was beginning to think, I will get this for better playback of different formats, when I looked at the specs listed, I did not see .avi & .mts among the formats listed, will it play these?

Last edited by Sossity; 09-29-2012 at 06:02 AM.
10-10-2012, 01:31 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sossity View Post
that is what I was beginning to think, I will get this for better playback of different formats, when I looked at the specs listed, I did not see .avi & .mts among the formats listed, will it play these?
Yes, these units all play the AVI container.
Most do not play the M2TS (MTS) containers, however, as those are transport streams.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
10-10-2012, 08:48 PM
Free Member

I renamed m2ts to ts and play them with my inboard tv media player.
Don't know if that will work with this blu-ray player.
The following users thank Steve(MS) for this useful post: kpmedia (10-11-2012)
10-16-2012, 06:37 AM
Premium Member

Well, I received my Samsung blue ray player, I got the model suggested to me here, & found it plays mostly all my movie files, it even plays the .mov movie files.

I found it odd with .mts files, I had burned a bunch of different samples of movie files to DVD to see which would play, among them was 2 .mts files. Well, when it came to them, it would stumble on the 1st one, with a message saying, frame rate 59 not supported. But, it would go on to the 2and .mts file & it played.

I found the Samsung had trouble with the .mpg movie files taken with my Sony Cybershot digicams, when I viewed the info of these files in finder in mac os, it listed for the codecs, MPEG Layer 2, MPEG-1, at 640 x 480, using "fine" at 30fps. I took these using the "fine mode" the cameras offer fine with a higher frame rate of 30fps, 640 x 480, & it also offers 15fps at 640 x 480. The video of these .mpg movie files played ok, but the sound was all jittery, & like chipmunks, it sounded screwed up, that is the best I can describe it.

the odd thing is, my other Philips DVD player (regular, not blu ray) will play these .mpg files burned to a blank DVD just fine, & yet the Samsung blu ray player cannot.

So it turns out that the blue ray player can play some of the more difficult formats, like the .mov container, but the (what I thought was a most universal container of .mpg) would not play with proper sound.
10-28-2012, 11:21 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sossity View Post
Well, I received my Samsung blue ray player, I got the model suggested to me here, & found it plays mostly all my movie files, it even plays the .mov movie files.
That's awesome!

The biggest issue with media players is that it's hard to support so many formats in hardware alone. Always remember that -- your computer is a bottomless pit compared to the single chipset on the player. The computer can be updated, added to infinitely, etc. The media player has to make choices based on the most common desires of the average user.

You may have to do like the rest of us -- stack your two best players at a TV, to cover all your bases. Even my kitchen TV has two small/cheap players, because neither is trouble-free. But between the two of them, one always plays the disc properly, or plays the file off a USB flash stick properly.