03-04-2014, 11:19 AM
Free Member

In 2012 I bought a Magnavox HDD/DVD recorder combo (I actually bought it for the DVR capability, it just so happened it was comb'd with a DVDR). I was surprised to see that it would not record dual layer discs considering how new it is. I also have a much older ES10 that also does not record dual layer discs.

What's a good DVD recorder that can record dual layer discs? +R DL, -R DL, doesn't matter, I have a Micro Center in my city and can buy any media under the sun for good prices. Also it doesn't need RF in, I'll use a converter box and cable box using composite and S-Video.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-24-2014, 10:57 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Q: What's a good DVD recorder that can record dual layer discs?
A: None. It does not exist.

Very few DVD recorders (mostly LG recorders) were able to handle DL discs, but all had issues with the layer break, since the way it recorded was non-standard. DL need to be burned at once, with the layer break set at burn time. But DVD recorders use DVD-VR/DVD+VR methods of burning, which didn't (couldn't!) plan where to out a layer break on the burn. VR was a "hack" that allowed DVD recorders to exist at all.

Both DVD-R DL and DVD+R DL recorders existed, however:
- DVD-R DL is lousy both due to its "backwards" disc burning method and DVD-VR
- DVD+R DL is lousy solely due to DVD+VR.

This was an unanswered question or unresolved issue found during a site audit. It's hard to have an FAQ when the answers are missing, or final outcomes are unknown. At The Digital FAQ support forum, questions are never intentionally ignored, and may have been missed due to a forum glitch or human error. More details on the audit. (In some cases, threads have been edited/updated with newer information.)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs