digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Videography: Cameras, TVs and Players (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/home-video/)
-   -   VHS VCR to play tapes in OLED? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/home-video/7936-vhs-vcr-play.html)

joecv2000t 04-11-2017 11:16 AM

VHS VCR to play tapes in OLED?

Hello to the forum, i am new for here i am from Spain and i hope can help me.
i have a lot of number of vhs and s-vhs tapes, most of then of 80s and 90s rallyes, and original films too, this tapes are original, not to record to the tv, and i have no VCR to play the tapes.
i recently bought a 4k hdr lg oled and i´d like to see this old tapes in my new tv.
i readed the VCR buying guide and i know the recomended models but i dont want to transfer the tapes to digital, i dont have enough time for that, i only want to see the tapes in the best picture quality, so my question is What PAL VCR must to buy?, the recomended in buying guide or another one?
As i say, i only want to see the tapes in the best picture quality in oled so maybe VCR like jvc 10000, 9700 etc are not necessary for my purpose or maybe yes.
Hope you can help me

dpalomaki 04-12-2017 06:36 PM

TV sets are often more forgiving of problematic VCR playback that capture cards, but still the better VCRs for capture are likely also the better VCRs for viewing. Finding quality machines in good working order can be problematic.

That said, VCR output is analog SD - either composite or svideo (on SVHS VCRs). Not all HD TVs sets do equally well upscaling SD analog inputs to their HD screen.

Playing old tapes puts them at increased risk of damage and deterioration (especially in old machines and if the tapes were stored under less than optimal conditions). If any of the material is important it would be a good idea to capture/convert it to an archival form for assured future viewing.

joecv2000t 04-19-2017 11:01 AM

thanks after looking for eBay and other places i have seem some VCR in a different prices:
JVC HM-DR10000U it cost about 600 Euros
Panasonic NV-HS 1000 about 300 Euros, even less
JVC HR-S9700EK/EU about 430 Euros
JVC HR-S9600EK/EU about 300 Euros
Panasonic NV-FS 200 about 250 Euros
Blaupunkt RTV-965 about 300 Euros
Blaupunkt RTV-950 about 300 Euros.
Assuming the VCR are all in good conditions, what should i try to buy?

Quasipal 04-21-2017 09:37 AM

Of all those the FS200 is my personal favorite as it was made to a high standard, is very reliable and plays most tapes very well, but in the last few years I have seen many more worn out VCR's being offered and most are not serviced so its almost'whichever is in the best mechanical condition. Exterior condition is not really an indicator - some of the scruffiest VCR's I have picked up have been the best - they spent most of their days being moved about, not playing tapes!

joecv2000t 04-21-2017 03:26 PM

Many thanks, firstly i only had post the most reputables VCR in buying guide, but in fact i know all in VCR in this guide are good machines. i never had a Panasonic or jvc. In the past i had a sanyo that was a very basic vhs.
Firstly i was thinking in jvc model but i know Panasonic always make very good products, so i will try to find one of this unit in good quality conditions.
Fortunately my tapes are in very good state of conservation so I hope to enjoy them again

Quasipal 04-21-2017 04:06 PM

If you are in PAL region, dont forget the Panasonic HS950. Has TBC and 3D noise reduction separately selectable and being from 1997 is the last of the metal chassis models. I have three of them and they are pretty reliable and 5 years younger than FS200.

joecv2000t 04-22-2017 06:47 AM

Thanks, i am in pal región, in Spain.
So hs950 or fs200 are two very good options.
Is one better than the other?. Id like to spent the money to get a good unit for some years and i dont mind to spend 50 euros more for example to get one best than another.
Basically i want to see the tapes in oled and if i have time try to pass it to digital, but in this moment my intention is try to enjoy to my old tapes

joecv2000t 04-22-2017 11:11 AM

i just found a jvc JVC HM-DR10000U in 300 euros and the unit looks very good.
Is a good option or is better the two panasonics?
I have absolutly no experience in this vcr

Quasipal 04-22-2017 12:26 PM

It's difficult to know how your TV will react to and display the different machines. I know from experience that the FS200 has a different looking picture to the HS950 - the 950 is more 'modern' looking image with a bit more punch and colour is a bit clearer and more detailed but FS200 plays almost anything and has a more heavy duty mechanism with weighted brass impedance roller etc.

I don't have so much experience with JVC as I don't like the PAL picture quality - I think the NTSC models were better. Older JVC were good and used the full gamut HQ processing (I have Ferguson Videostar rebranded ones).

The DR10000 sounds good but I have no experience with them. JVC tends to be softer picture than Panasonic, more noise reduction applied.

Honestly you need to try and compare on your TV. Ask if you can return within a week if you don't like it perhaps?

Lastly, remember that many Panasonic SVHS models have amorphous heads, that feature is important to me.

joecv2000t 04-22-2017 02:10 PM

many thanks for help me, i am learning a lot of to you.
What do you mean amorphous heads?
i dont be familiarizated in tecnical terms about VCR. my old vhs was a simply sanyo 1988 model so i dont know anything about good quality vcr.
For example my brother have a LG RCT699H, is a mixt between vhs and DVD but i seen few tapes in this VCR and i dont like it.
i doubt even is a good quality vcr

one thing that take my atention to the jvc dr 10000u according to buying guide is that he can to cure VHS tearing.
Whats it mean?, i dont understand it

Quasipal 04-22-2017 03:34 PM

Tearing is possibly another word for flagging - time base errors. Hopefully someone with that model will chip in and confirm.

Amorphous heads are higher quality than normal head tips on the video drum that have better signal conducting properties so more detail and less noise.

Please note that when displaying VHS on flat panel TV'S that the signal needs to be processed a great deal as the TV needs to convert it to digital and spread out the information. This processing has a great bearing on the quality of the VHS picture displayed. Some televisions do it well, some poorly. The use of a quality player can only be the icing on the cake as it were. I use CRT televisions so don't have any TV that does this processing.

Take a look on your TV at this clip https://youtu.be/yBlu838FA8g concentrating on the middle bit where I record and play back TV on plain VHS using HS950B. That is what this model plays like.

https://youtu.be/Xqxw2BDUJRc is TV recording from the 1980's on FS200

joecv2000t 04-24-2017 02:27 AM

Thanks, i will open new post trying to found some JVC HM-DR10000U owners that can help me

latreche34 05-17-2017 01:30 AM

Don't even think about it, I have 65 LG OLED TV and I tried my JVC HR-S7600AM playing back both VHS and S-VHS tapes and they sucked big time, The picture looked horrible, Those TV's are overkill for a quality like VHS, I set a small TV monitor for my VHS playback and capturing activity.

joecv2000t 05-17-2017 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by latreche34 (Post 49422)
Don't even think about it, I have 65 LG OLED TV and I tried my JVC HR-S7600AM playing back both VHS and S-VHS tapes and they sucked big time, The picture looked horrible, Those TV's are overkill for a quality like VHS, I set a small TV monitor for my VHS playback and capturing activity.

I agree with you, but i only have this tv and is for the moment the only way to see my old vhs tapes.