09-22-2017, 04:06 PM
Free Member

I'm looking at a DCR-TRV740E on ebay. The E means the PAL versions. The listing says this:

Quote:
Camcorder has PAL system .So it records only in PAL system !!
But plays PAL and NTSC formats .
This seems odd to me. I have a normal DCR-TRV740 and now i'm wondering if I can use it to transfer PAL. Can anyone confirm? I see nothing about it in my manual.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-23-2017, 01:39 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Most people selling on eBay have no clue what they're selling, and how it works. A lot of video gear is broken, even when "tested".

I've never, ever, hear of a Video8, Hi8, Digital8, or even DV camera capable of both PAL and NTSC recording and playback. Never.

To make sure I'm not incorrect, I looked on Google.
edDV at VH (and he's no dummy) said this: "there has never been a dual standard Digital8 or MiniDV camcorder."

So the person on eBay is full of it.

Many PAL devices "play" NTSC, but not as true NTSC. It outputs a quasi signal, sort of like NTSC-50 (or PAL-60). Again, it's not true NTSC, and you'll actually be worse off than if you'd left it native PAL or NTSC. Said features were intended solely for viewing, not capture. Supposedly a few cameras have said ability (though unclear as to whether true NTSC or quasi), but we're talking broadcast-grade cameras here, not consumer camcorders.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
09-23-2017, 07:46 AM
Free Member

FWIW, back 12 or so years ago Canon offered a NTSC/PAL modification to their XL and XH series HDV/DV camcorders (i.e., XL-H1, XH-A1, XH-G1) that allowed switching (from the menu) between recording in PAL (50i) or NTSC (~59.94i). This was accomplished by a $500 factory firmware update. These were mainly HDV camcorders that also could record DV.

I do not know whether or not the PAL/NTSC switch capability was limited to HDV recording (a 1080 line format) or also covered the 480 & 576 line SD formats..
09-23-2017, 12:27 PM
Free Member

Thanks for the responses! I found someone on another forum who gave a rundown of the oddities in the Sony camcorders. He says the PAL versions will cover all bases, but i'm still weary for the reasons mentioned, that it may not be true NTSC or PAL if it's converted. That post is here: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/...l8#post1902164

and said:

Quote:
Digital8 NTSC models with Hi8/8mm playback will play:
Digital8 PAL and NTSC tapes
Hi8/8mm (analog recording over 8mm tapes) with NTSC format
Warning: These models don`t play Pal analog recording.
I have DCR-TRV 460 (US model) and this camcorder show this behavior
mentioned above.

Digital8 PAL models with Hi8/8mm playback will play all tapes regardless of its format (Pal or NTSC). These models have E (from Europe) point at the end of name. Ex. DCR-TRV 460E.
So Pal version will play:
D8 PAL and NTSC
8mm/Hi8 Pal and Ntsc tapes. Analog regording (both Pal and NTSC) are coverted in digital form (DV format) over firewire and also are transmitted to the Svideo and composite output. NTSC tapes are played in NTSC format, not converted to Pal. From menu, analog output can be set in two ways:
On Pal TV - PAL60 format, a mixt between Pal and NTSC.
NTSC 4.43 - true ntsc format.

So, PAL version will cover all situations.
09-23-2017, 01:56 PM
Free Member

Quote:
NTSC 4.43 - true ntsc format.
I don't believe that 4.43 is a true USA standard NTSC. Make sure what ever viewing/capture gear you have can cope with it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTSC#NTSC_4.43