Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Videography: Cameras, TVs and Players

LinkBack Thread Tools
06-22-2006, 02:19 AM
Free Member

before i reinstall windows xp ... let me ask you guys if you've come across this situation and have an easier solution.

about a week ago, my dvd player software, like powerdvd and intervideo, playback the movie but without audio.

everything else outputs audio. eg vlc, classic media player.

all other bells & whistles for windows seem to be okay too, eg starting & exiting windows, arrival of mail etc.

i uninstalled and then reinstalled both cyberlink & intervideo, alas no luck.

also uninstalled & reinstalled my soundcard drivers. i have creative soundblaster audigy platinum.

so people, any ideas?

or do i have to wade through the installation of everything ground up?

big ta in advance.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-22-2006, 08:15 AM
Free Member

Do you have all the codecs & Plug ins ? You may need an audio codec?
What version of Powerdvd are you using???? That version may not support Ac3 audio ?
06-22-2006, 08:41 AM
Free Member

Yeah, I'd have to agree with CP - it's more likely a codec or a patch needed for the software than anything else. I've run across that problem - and VLC seems to ignore any issues with files and play anything. I have files that have no audio in Intervideo, but VLC plays them with no problem. You should check the home page for each player to see if there are any patches, and check their knowledge bases to see if other users have reported the problem - the answer may be right there.

What types of files? If they're XVID, you can download the latest codec right from their web site, and that will probably resolve the issue right there.

Otherwise, rather than reinstall XP, try uninstalling the player software, do a cold boot, and then reinstall it.
06-22-2006, 03:38 PM
Free Member

Here is something that might work-maybe. Try disconnecting your computer from the power and let it sit for while. I was told by a computer guy that sometimes audio cards can be effected by static feedback. I know it works for my laptop when the audio won't work.
06-22-2006, 10:52 PM
Free Member

MM - i will try as i can't lose. strange how other players, like vlc, output the sound though?! and the rest of windows output sound without probs.

CP & DW - yes, i completely forgot about codecs. old age i guess. too much beer methinks! but just to say powerdvd & intervideo were working for months & months and then suddenly whammo goes out last week.

i'm using powerdvd 7 & intervideo windvd 7. all my dvds, hundreds & hundreds of retail & homebrew worked a-okay until last week.

okay, weekend coming up and guess what i'll be doing? yup, hunting for AC3 probs with powerdvd & audigy soundcard ... and i can bethca my last pound i'll be reinstalling everything!

okay, ta for your help. will post back what i find out so as to help others in similar position in the future.
06-23-2006, 04:57 AM
Free Member

what version of power dvd do you have? I had this happen to me once a long time ago. I upgraded powerdvd and then anything played in it had no sound. SO i went back to my previous version (newer versions past the number I upgraded too have all worked fine) and I had sound back again.