Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Videography: Cameras, TVs and Players

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-05-2018, 09:43 AM
Free Member

Based on your description of your climate and home condition in other posts, once every 6 months is likely to be of little benefit for humidity control. Once per month would probably be better, and maybe once per week during rainy season. If the set is instant on you may want to leave it unplugged when not in use.

I suspect the better CRTs came from Japan in the 1990s.

Last edited by dpalomaki; 08-05-2018 at 10:00 AM.
The following users thank dpalomaki for this useful post: gamemaniaco (08-05-2018), lordsmurf (09-13-2018)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-05-2018, 10:23 AM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

I live in semiarid weather. I do not live in the forest or near the sea.

Japan is best quality manufactured CRT?

To choose a CRT TV which brands should I look for for maximum tube durability?
08-09-2018, 08:42 PM
Free Member

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/6/16973914/tvs-crt-restoration-led-gaming-vintage
provides some interesting information. Note the cost of a 40" CRT mentioned in the story, and note the weight of CRT-based displays, and corresponding issues with shipping and handling and maintenance once you have one.

What size do you need? That will be a major driver.
Ability to finding one in excellent working condition (and you ability to test it to confirm it is in good condition) will be major drivers, and identifying the actual brand and model of the CRT within the box could be problematic unless you have the necessary technician skills. (After you open it you have to put it back together in working order.)

In past posts you have frequently said you live in a region where you have limited limited access to technology. And you have indicated that you do not have resources to invest in things like climate control for storage of media.

Further, unless you are a well qualified electronics technician, forget the focus on the only CRT, look for the best overall TV/monitor with the highest reliability ratings. A great CRT on a crappy chassis is just a crappy TV/monitor. Because you are looking to buy products from the "used" market you will have to evaluate each item you consider on its own researching the make, model, and years of production to see whether or not it is a good prospect, and then you have to evaluate the actual item being offered, or trust the source.

No one else is likely to do that for you for free.
The following users thank dpalomaki for this useful post: lordsmurf (09-13-2018)
08-13-2018, 06:52 AM

I have a CRT TV stored in my room, what tips to keep this TV and in the future when I use it is good?

dust internal damage tv crt?
09-12-2018, 07:40 PM
Free Member

Dust is not good, and depending on what it is comprised of and how it reacts in your environment it could be some where between only slightly bad over a long period of time to very bad in a short period of time. A worst case example is if the dust is hygroscopic, conductive, and shorts out portions of the TV internals, such as the high voltage section. No way to tell from here what your case will be. To keep dust out, keep the TV covered to limit dust access when not in use. But do not block vents when using it; it will needs normal air flow for cooling when operating.
The following users thank dpalomaki for this useful post: gamemaniaco (09-15-2018), lordsmurf (09-13-2018)
09-12-2018, 07:43 PM

inside my crt has common dust, this dust damages the useful life of the tv even it off? How to protect and conserve tv crt? I do not have air conditioning and silica.
09-15-2018, 04:51 PM

Does direct sunlight damage CRT phosphors if I move the TV from one home to another home?
09-16-2018, 03:49 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamemaniaco View Post
Does direct sunlight damage CRT phosphors if I move the TV from one home to another home?
Use a moving blanket, problem solved.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: gamemaniaco (09-16-2018)
09-16-2018, 05:00 AM

Can any fabric blanket be? direct sunlight on a day of change causes some damage to tv crt and phosphorus?
09-16-2018, 05:52 AM
Free Member

Moving blankets are thick, provide protection from scratches and similar physical damage. They also will reduce exposure to direct sunlight and ultra violet (UV) radiation. Most moves are only briefly in direct sun, and sun exposure during a move will not likely hurt the TV. However, sitting under a (dark) blanked in direct sun for hours may cause high temperatures under the blanket and high temperatures (e.g., over 140F, depending on the item) are generally not good for electronics. Other fabric can work too, but may not provide as effective padding.

The CRT itself is likely more durable than most other components in the TV. Damage to tubes is most often caused by a non-varing high intensity image on the screen that can burn phosphors.

I suspect long term exposure to sun light (e.g., UV) is more likely to cause damage to the set finish and plastic components in the direct sun. Just keep long term direct sun off the set.
The following users thank dpalomaki for this useful post: gamemaniaco (09-16-2018)
09-16-2018, 07:09 AM

is it certain that direct sunlight affects the plastic of the CRT TV and not the phosphor and screen crt? long-term led bulb lights damage the tv crt plastic?

What are the tips for the crt tube to last as long as possible?
09-16-2018, 03:10 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamemaniaco View Post
is it certain that direct sunlight affects the plastic of the CRT TV and not the phosphor and screen crt? long-term led bulb lights damage the tv crt plastic?

What are the tips for the crt tube to last as long as possible?
Never use it.
09-16-2018, 04:25 PM

09-16-2018, 10:33 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpalomaki View Post
Never use it.
He spends so much time posting questions about using it, that I'm wondering when he has time left to use it. Some of these questions are beyond beating a dead horse.

Seriously.

Quote:
Yes, sunlight damages everything. But it's also what lets you live, providing warmth, vitamin D, and other things. It's your best friend that can also be your worst enemy.

Basic science. And I mean like elementary school here, what you're taught by 10 years old.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs

Tags
tv crt