digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Videography: Cameras, TVs and Players (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/home-video/)
-   -   JVC HM-DR10000EK deck DV-out? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/home-video/9456-jvc-hm-dr10000ek.html)

Rod Tundra 02-18-2019 05:37 AM

JVC HM-DR10000EK deck DV-out?

Hi,
I notice a dv-in socket at the back of my deck but will/can the deck export via Firewire too? Or am I stuck with s-video out only? I know that there is a D-VHS deck by JVC which boasts dv-out (HM-DH40000U) so I'm keen to know would it output from an analogue source (say, a VHS tape) via Firewire?
Thanks in advance.
Rod

Tester 02-19-2019 08:42 PM

No, DV output was disabled (at the hardware level, apparently) on PAL D-VHS machines.

jwillis84 03-03-2019 05:23 AM

Firewire was mostly associated with DV in/out and that color space reduced format. It was a trade off between easy and compressed (good enough) versus rich and accurate hdtv (good). It also took a lot less cables to transport audio and video.

The D-VHS recorders sometimes could transport an MPEG-2 stream under the HAVI protocol control, but it was rare. the HM-DH30000 could do that.. but I think they removed it in all later JVC consumer level products.

(Some considered it a design flaw because the MPEG encoder/decoder generated so much heat it killed parts like the encoder/decoder or power supply quickly. So it was completely removed in later versions of their D-VHS product.)

The JVC Professional recorders had DV in/out but weren't MPEG-2 capable, that use of the DV port was unique to the home entertainment market.

I have played around with the 30000 to export/capture the MPEG-2 stream over the DV port.. its not easy, there are no MCI controls.. you have to use the front control panel or remote to initiate transfer, and it "looses" transport "sync" which for a "digital" stream means the PC reports the "device not found" suddenly and your toast, have to reboot everything. Its a nice notion.. but terrible in execution. Doing the same thing for DV only from a Pioneer 510 was far easier.. but it was dv only... at least there when it lost sync you got a blue screen and could re-start the playback and it would pickup where it left off without having to reboot.

None of these methods were in the remotest "sense" start playback and walk-off and come back to a finished transfer, they were highly unstable brand "new" and irritating. DV port was mostly for "camera" transport of "clips" it wasn't meant to be stable for more than 10-20 minutes at a time.. nothing long term.. like for hours.. or movie length. There were firewire chips with "hardware" counters that rolled-over and simply stopped after a hardware fixed number of minutes.

The problem was "in those days" nobody ever thought anyone would have a hard drive large enough to store that much video. It was assumed you would stop and switch a storage source, like a VHS tape or DVD and start a whole new session. They didn't even test for such a thing as a two hour length movie.. that was "crazy talk".

Analog video storage and playback was "light years ahead" of anything digital "in those years".. expecting digital from that era to be "more advanced" is self defeating.

I didn't have an HDTV back in those days, however it was often the case they preferred to use YUV or "Component" for home theater playback.. it was more stable for long term playback of movie length sources and didn't involve the DV port.

Later DV-in (only) recorders reportedly used a DV to S-Video adapter on a chip right behind the plastic panel in the front which fed directly into the S-Video channel of the recorder. Basically a D-to-A converter, which the recorder then handled as just another analog input, but labeled on the menu as "DV in".. truth in advertising? well truth in that you had a DV input port anyway.

DV output faded into a bad dream and people looking for digital output turned to DVD-RAM, DVD or Blu-Ray until the more recent HDMI options started becoming possible. Note: DV output from a Laser Disk, DVD or Blu-Ray player.. were just "never" an option... with good reason.